Chapter 20- Astraea

I wake up in a hospital room with a needle sticking in my arm

My head feels groggy as I try to sit up from the bed but there's straps wrapped around my wrists and I freeze, heart stopping dead in my chest as I realize the situation I'm in. My feet are also strapped and I'm all alone in this room, with nobody to help me.

There's nothing in the room. Everything is gone except for me and two beds, my brows furrow in confusion. Who was the other bed for? I shiver at how cold it is despite there being no windows but there was also no light and I feel my mind start to spiral out of control at the thought of being trapped in here all alone.

My voice is stuck in my throat, not out of fear but out of knowledge. Nobody would be able to hear me scream for help so I wouldn't waste my breathe. Instead, I tug on the knots tied against my wrists despite the burning pain. I keep on pulling and pulling, watching as it starts to draw blood but I don't care. I don't care. I need to get out.

It doesn't budge and I try to think of ways to get out but can't think of any.

My head snaps over to the door that creaks open, Edith coming into view. Her eyes immediately find my wrists with displeasure written all over her face. "You're bleeding." She states, her voice bland as she looks at me.

"Untie me." My voice is low, "Now." My blood burns with fire, I was going to kill her.

Edith walks further into the room, "No." Her eyes find the other bed, "I bet your wondering why this is here." She smiles but I don't say anything. I only watch her. "You'll see eventually." She stands over my bed, "What are you afraid of Astraea?" I don't bother responding, "Do you want to know what my fear is or was?"

"Not really." I mutter blandly.

Her eyes flash, "I was scared of being a mother." She tells me quietly and I still. Her eyes roam around my face in wonder—curiosity. "I was only just a kid when you were born, an addict. I got high off whatever I can because I was trying to escape my father that raped me for fifteen years straight." I flinch at her words, sick to my stomach. "Your father was the one who saved me from it," Her tone softened, "And I was so attached to him because of it but I think it was just the drugs he offered." She tells me, "He was the one who got me hooked and I could sit here and blame him for my life falling apart but I know it was my fault." 

Edith runs her finger down the scar under my eye, "I hated you the moment I found out I was pregnant," She whispers and something in my chest cracks, "And I know you didn't deserve it but the thought of being a mother scared me so much so I did everything I could to try and get rid of you and for some reason, you just wouldn't die." She wipes the tear that falls down my face, "I was broke so an abortion was out of question."

"Shutup." I whisper.

She doesn't, "You uncle Matias finally convinced me to keep you," She smooths out my brows, "He told me that I'd be able to put you up for adoption." A small smile graces her lips, "You didn't get adopted though, did you?" I swallow thickly, "I saw you when you were first born and I thought about holding you." She admits, "I thought about keeping you and being a mother but then I saw how pale and blue your skin was. It looked like you had been frozen to death and then suddenly the thought of even being near you felt like a crime so I told Matias to give you up."