Chapter 23- Lucas

Someone's in the house

I glance over at Rico's sleeping figure and Lilo whose at the bottom of the bed wide awake as she watches the TV screen that plays Tarzan. "Don't you think you should go to sleep?" I ask, quietly. My body alert from the intruder downstairs or so I think but for some reason I feel like there's an unwelcomed energy in the house.

"Don't you?" She questions back like a smart ass.

I glare at the back of her head before hopping out of bed, only to trip on my feet. When I look down, I realize Julian is also asleep and I let out a soft sigh before moving to lift him onto my side of the bed. "Stay here and don't move." I tell her seriously.

This time she looks at me and her face grow a little anxious at my tone, "Is something wrong?"

I swallow thickly, "No, it's okay." I reassure, I just need to check something really quickly but promise you'll stay in here?" Her big grey eyes shine with fright but she nods anyways.

Quietly, I make my way out the room and head downstairs with quick feet. My heart races in my chest as get closer the bottom where all the lights off and it's pitch black. Usually LeRoy is awake at this time but it seems he's not which worries me even more.

It's deathly quiet as I reach for the lights so when the room brightens, I suck in a sharp breath of air as I meet the face of Astraea's mother sitting in one of the kitchen chairs, staring at me with dark blank eyes. "Lucas, right?" She plays with a lighter in her hand, something Astraea does.

"Get the fuck out." I snarl, my blood hot with anger. How dare she come here after what she did to Loki? After what she did to Astraea? My heart races in my chest as I think about the three kids upstairs. Lilo was still awake and that scared the shit out of me.

Edith only smiles, "You'll stay away from Astraea." She simply says, "Or I'll kill you."

"You'll be doing us both a favor." I respond with the deadest smile ever, "Get out now."

Her eyes travel behind me, "Hello, darling." My blood runs cold as I turn around to see who she's talking too and I find Lilo peeking her head out from the stairs. Lilo shrinks at the tone, her wide eyes going to me in fear. "What is your name?" My brows furrow, I didn't even hear her come down—how the fuck didn't I hear her.

I swallow the bile climbing up my throat, "I told you not to move." Her eyes water at my tone and usually I'd feel bad but right now all I want is for Edith to take her attention away from Lilo. "Go upstairs, now." When she doesn't move, I panic watching as her eyes don't move from Edith this time. Like she's afraid to move and I watch as her pale face goes paler and she freezes like a doll.