||15.||

•||Ch15: Return Back||•

||Mehrun||

"Mehrun, wake up."

I heard Nano's soft voice calling me in my sleep and shaking me. I groaned in response and pulled the duvets over my head, not wanting to get up.

"You need to get up quickly, dear. We don't have much time. You go and take shower, I'll clean your room. Okay?"

I ignored her voice and let sleep pulled me back to my dreamless world.

"Wake up, Mehrun," I heard Anmol's stern voice as the duvet was pulled from me.

I wrapped my arms around myself and buried my face in my pillow, ignoring her too.

"Mehrun."

"Why?" I asked her in my sleepy voice.

"Everyone is waiting for you in the living room. You need to sign your Nikkah papers," Her voice became quiet from stern.

I opened my eyes quickly and got up, looking at her expectantly, fearing inside.

"Shaizum.. please tell me, it's him," I pleaded her, holding her hand.

She looked away from my face in my Nano's direction, shaking her head without speaking. I loosened the hold on her hand and felt disappointment at myself, for expecting.

Anmol was right. Expectations hurt.

"It's not a dream," I whispered to myself, trying to ignore the tightness in my chest.

"Get those papers here. I'll sign them here," I told her, got up and went to the washroom, ignoring all the mess I created in my room last night.

I washed my face with cold water, looking at my lifeless reflection in the mirror.

"Mehrun."

There was a knock on the door following Anmol's voice full of worry. I wiped my face with a towel quickly then opened the door, letting her enter inside, Laraib following behind her.

Silently, I took papers from Anmol and put them on the counter beside the sink, reading each single word, each single clause, even the signature of Saim.

After reading them twice, all I felt was suffocation, the tightness in my chest intensified.

All the clauses were more in my favor than his but I wasn't happy. Not a single bit.

Taking pen from Laraib, I signed my future with a man I never thought of or dreamt of to be with. I never felt a pen as heavy as I was feeling at the moment. This wasn't how I wanted the big day of my life to happen, without my parents, my family.

As I put the pen on the paper, four arms wrapped around me from each side, providing me support without saying anything. I closed my eyes and stood silently, trying to numb both my feelings and broken heart.