||26.||

•||Chapter 26: 7 days but 70 years||•

The card was continuously flipping between her fingers nonstop while her mind and emotions were trapped between so many emotions

The card was continuously flipping between her fingers nonstop while her mind and emotions were trapped between so many emotions. Her sight was getting blurred as the flashes of being abandoned on her Nikah day appeared in front of her, making her relive those emotions.

Just when she felt herself out of breath, Saim's soft voice calling her Begum rang in her ears. Him gazing at her fondly, showering her with love took over all those unpleasant memories. Her heart was yearning for him and his presence, her ears were begging to listen to him calling her Begum.

She took a deep breath, putting the card on the bedside table and standing up to go out of the room that was suffocating her. She made her way to Ammi's room and knocked on the door then entered after getting permission.

"Oh look! Mehrun's here. Mashaa Allah! A long life you have, Mehrun. We were talking about you," Ammi told her with a grin as she closed the door.

"Not we. It was you," A familiar grumpy voice of Saim's came from the phone in Ammi's hands.

Mehrun pursed her lips tightly and glanced at the phone and hesitated to step further in the room.

"Yes. Yes. It's me, not you," Ammi told him in a soft voice like consoling the child who hated to be pinpointed, and waved at Mehrun to sit beside her.

Mehrun's gaze shifted from phone to Ammi with uncertainty and a hint of guilt as she approached and took a seat beside Ammi. She fidgeted with the edge of her kameez, glancing at Saim on screen stealthily.

"Why don't you both talk to each other! I have to pray Asr. Here, Mehrun, talk to your husband," Ammi handed her phone, getting up to make way to the washroom and leaving the couple alone.

The phone weighed heavy in her hand as she looked at her husband on the screen. He was looking back at her with an aloof expression, like he wasn't seeing his Begum after many days.

"I conveyed your messages to the housekeeper," She spoke about the texts he sent her complaining about everyone at home.

His eyes slightly, very slightly narrowed at her for a good minute while responding with a hum.

"I'm very busy and don't have any extra time for others," He told her.

She swallowed the words of asking about him after his response and stared at him carefully. He had a stubble on his cheeks and chin, and circles under his eyes.

"Since you are busy then I'll call you later."

She was about to end the call but stopped when,

"No!" He hurriedly interrupted her before she clicked on the red circle.

She paused and looked at him with a gaze that was scratching his crazily beating heart. He looked away from the camera and cleared his throat to collect himself back.