||19.||

•||Chapter 19: Taunts & Burnt of memories||•

|| M E H R U N ||

I could feel the meaningful and judgmental eyes of everyone around me. I tried to minimize my breath, heart beat and my presence but those gazes were saying it all.

How I was abandoned by the groom on my Nikah. How I forced myself in Saim's life. How I disgraced my father, my family. How ruined I was. And. How I ruined everyone's life around me.

"Mrs. Ali, good thing I met you here! I couldn't make it to your son's wedding. Afterall it was all sudden."

An elderly lady came to us and greeted Mirha Phupho which made me uncomfortable because I could feel the taunts in her polite and soft voice.

"It wasn't all sudden. One month time is enough for all preparations when you have money," Phupho replied to her with the same polite and soft voice.

Phupho put her hand on my back with a gentle pat and tried to sidewalk that lady who didn't get the hint.

"Where is your son, Mrs. Ali? I haven't seen him with your daughter in-law. Is he angry?"

I narrowed my eyes at that lady and was going to answer her while gently holding Phupho's arm who's anger was about to burst. But before I spoke, Arash Uncle's cold voice came from behind us.

"I sent him to run some errands. Do you have any problem with that?"

"N-no... um.. My-my husband is calling me. See you later," She rushed away, nervously.

I and Phupho turned to Uncle who had softened now without any anger on his face.

"You don't have to worry about anyone. Go and enjoy the event," Arash Uncle smiled at me.

"Thank you," I whispered, feeling guilty.

"You don't have to. We are family," Uncle put his hand on my head then turned to Phupho to calm her anger.

"Don't be angry, my beautiful wife. I'll take your anger out on our son," Uncle tried to soothe Phupho, lovingly behind me.

I went to my parents and family, greeting them. Mom's eyes looked behind me while pulling me in a hug.

"He'll be a little late. He has important work," I answered her unasked question when she didn't ask me about Saim but glanced behind me.

"Someone said anything to you?" She asked me, narrowing her eyes somewhere.

I shook my head with a smile because I didn't want to ruin her mood or make her worry more about me.

"I'm going to meet Laraib," I informed her, glancing at Laraib who was signing at me to come.

I walked to her and greeted her with a grin which turned her cheeks red.

"I take it you like my gift," I whispered, naughtily in her ear.