2 - Disinter

Malin and Rhett always knew that there was a chance for them to be injured, but like most people, they never thought it would happen to them. Malin couldn't get past the confusion when he woke up to fluorescent lights, itchy clothes, and a chemical smell he has always hated. His vision was blurry as he tried to take in his surroundings, only just being able to make out a figure sitting on a couch against the wall. Malin just stared at the man, desperately trying to get neurons in his brain to do anything, provide any information. He could feel it there, on the tip of his tongue, but it felt like it was on the other side of a wall. He tensed his body and furrowed his body as he concentrated. He knew that he knew him, that the man was important. He swore under his breath in frustration, catching the man's attention.

"MJ!" The man's voice was guttural and filled with concern, but the sound sent Malin into the memories he was desperately trying to reach. His eyes fogged over as he remember the game, and watched the tackle happen as if he was floating over the field.

"The game... I didn't make it..." The words were whispered under his breath, Malin's voice was gravelly from lack of use, making it impossible for Rhett to make out the words. He stared at his best friend and took in his fresh clothes, none of the signs that the game had just ended. It hit him that he must have been out for some time, "How long...?"

"It's been 4 days. You really did a number on your head... Your chin strap snapped completely. It was looked over by refs and determined to be a defect in the helmet. Your helmet was completely off before you hit the ground. You should be careful talking though, your jaw is all kind of bruised because of the strap. You're probably not feeling though because of all the pain meds they're pumping into you. The guy who tackled you was massive. When we all realized what was going on there was nearly an all-out brawl, but somehow you managed to keep that ball in your hands. We still won." Malin attempted to smile as his friend rambled on about the game. Rhett could talk for hours. It was something that worked between them because Malin preferred to stay quiet. He thought over all the information Rhett gave him. He'd been unconscious with a major concussion, but they won the game. "Doc said we'd have to wait for you to wake up to see if the concussion caused any damage, but they're expecting for there to be some lasting effects..." Rhett's voice trailed off. Malin nodded his head jerkily, the motion needing extra effort to do so.

Malin thought about how he ended up there, it wasn't the tackle that ended him up in the hospital. No, it was a cheap strap on a helmet his sponsors wanted him to wear for the Superbowl. They cut corners to try to save a dollar and he was paying the price. All he could be hope that whatever lasting effects he had from the concussion weren't too bad. The two waited in silence, Malin lost in thought and Rhett playing some game on his phone.

It wasn't too long later that a nurse entered the room only to be startled as she met Malin's heterochromatic eyes. "Oh goodness, you're awake. Let me go get the doctor." She turned and bolted from the room.

Rhett grinned in amusement and looked to Malin, a silent 'thank you' passing between them. Malin was glad Rhett didn't rush out to get the doctor. He wasn't feeling any pain and he needed the thirty or so minutes to process everything that was happening. The doctor must not have been far because the nurse entered again followed by an older man wearing a white coat.

"Hello, Mr. Jones. You've done quite a number on yourself. I hope you're not feeling any of it at the moment though?" The man's voice sounded as old as he looked, but with every bit of comfort of a grandfather.

"No pain, Sir. Do we know if there's going to be any lasting effects?" Malin tried not to let his nervousness leak into his voice, he was sure everyone noticed.

"That's what we're here to find out. Would you like for Mr. Vega to stay in the room?"

"Yes, please."