SIX

🌷Anastasia🌷

Freddie says nothing, giving his family a moment to wrap their heads around the fact he's now suddenly a father. I feel a little out of place, seeing as this is such a family matter, and subtly gesture to Freddie that I should leave. He shakes his head, making his intentions clear. He wants me to stay, and I can't ignore the rush I get from his desperate plea. He needs me and I appreciate that. I like feeling needed. Important.

"How long have you known?" asks James, a lot calmer than Nicole.

"Less than twenty-four hours," replies Freddie, finally giving his family the answers they so desperately crave. "She was left on my doorstep with a note."

"How do you know she's yours?" questions Sloan. "Anyone could've dumped her."

"Look at her," insists Freddie. "Does she not look like me?"

All sets of eyes land on the baby, each one evaluating her. In return, she stares them down before releasing what is—quite possibly—the squelchiest sound from her nappy.

"She just shit herself—she's definitely yours!" teases James.

"When have I ever—as an adult—shit myself?" argues Freddie, playfully squaring up to his younger brother.

I hate to break up their fun interaction, but it's time Freddie faces his biggest milestone yet.

"Umm—Freddie. Ready to tackle your first poo-nappy?"

Nikki smirks, enjoying the look on her brother's face.

"Oh, shit," states Freddie, as though suddenly just realising this is a condition of raising a baby.

"That's exactly what it is," inputs Sloan, amused.

I hand her over to Freddie, who looks at his daughter as though she's a bomb ready to explode. I don't tell him that—sometimes—they can be. I once dealt with a poo-nappy that exploded up the baby's back and hair.

"Umm—Nic. Wanna bond with your niece?" he asks, attempting to pass responsibility on.

She rolls her eyes. "I'll help."

Freddie lays the baby down on the sofa, and I quickly stop him when his hand goes for the tab on the nappy.

"You might want to put a towel down," I advise.

Sloan stands to my right, watching. "So, are you the baby expert?"

Freddie grabs a towel from his cupboard and responds. "She's a Godsend, that's what she is!"

James sits on the sofa next to where the baby is lying and begins to softly caress her head.

"I know a little and Freddie's a bit clueless," I explain.

"I heard that!" he accuses, positioning the towel under the baby.

Nikki prepares the wipes and throws one at Freddie's head. "It's true! You are clueless!"

"In his defence, he's had twenty-four hours to prepare," defends James, distracting the baby by playing with her nose.

"Alright, guys, prepare yourself!"

The nappy is removed and together, Nicole and Freddie secure a fresh one in place in under fifty seconds. James keeps the baby entertained the entire time and my heart swells at just how quickly and effortless they've inserted themselves into this baby's life. I told Freddie he had nothing to worry about. His family are perhaps the most supportive family I've ever met and I just know they'll do everything they can to help their brother.