TWENTY ONE

🌷Ana🌷

I pull the cookies out from my oven, inhaling the smell of sugar and lemon. I did a morning shift at the hospital and am now off for ten days, following my request for Sloan and James' wedding next week. In my opinion, there's no better way to celebrate than baking cookies and blasting music from my apartment. I'm in the best mood ever and although it's likely due to fact Freddie and I were up all night making love, I tell myself it's because I'm finally feeling like myself again. I hardly say my affirmations anymore and although that's a process I need to continue, the fact I haven't is proof I'm improving every day. The girls at work have noticed a difference, Kimberly even going as far as to say this is the happiest she's ever seen me. Nan in relentless in her teasing, often texting me to get the latest gossip. Which reminds me—

I need to get in touch with Liam—her first love. Freddie gave me his phone number this morning and it's still sitting in the bottom of my purse. I go in search of it and am about to dial in his number when Nic's face pops up across my screen.

"Hey!' I greet.

"Hey, it's me. I need your help."

Her voice is cheerful, so I'm not too concerned.

"Shoot..."

"I have no idea what to get Freddie. He's so hard to buy for and I figured you might know what he wants."

I have no idea what she's talking about.

"For what?" I ask.

There's a long pause, followed by a sigh. "He hasn't told you, has he?"

"Told me what?"

"Fucker!" she mumbles.

'Nic!" I badger, still none the wiser.

"It's his birthday tomorrow."

Oh, shit!

"We don't usually celebrate. He hates his birthday. I assumed maybe this year would be different now that he has you and Charlotte."

I respect Freddie's need to keep his birthday hidden from me. Especially if that day is triggering to him in some way. But Nic is right. It should be different now. And the only way it'll ever be different is if we replace the bad memories with good ones.

"Okay, I have a plan," I reveal, thinking on the spot. "but I'm going to need your help..."

***

I deliberately didn't see Freddie last night, feeding him some excuse about helping Helen with something. In reality, I was up all evening prepping the food and wrapping his gifts. This morning, Nic has taken him and Charlotte to the park, giving me the perfect chance to break into his home. I balance the plate of roast potatoes on my hip as I lift up the small plant pot he keeps by his front door. I have no idea if he's normal and keeps a spare key under here, but why else would a man like Freddie situate such an accessory near his door?

Thank fuck!

I spot the key immediately and silently rejoice at the fact Freddie is as predictable as they come with regards to spare keys. I quickly let myself in and set about bringing the rest of the dishes in, setting everything to heat the second I get the chance. While it's all cooking, I decorate his living room with birthday bunting and balloons, paying special attention to the kitchen table. I position the table runner I purchased yesterday along it's centre and make quick work on setting out the plates. I make sure the cutlery is lined up neatly and sprinkle small birthday confetti across the table's surface. Then—as much as I can with the space given—I stack his presents on top of one another.