TWENTY-NINE

🌷Ana🌷

My session with Nic's friend goes amazingly. No disrespect to my other therapist, but I've never experienced an hour quite like it. Everything we discussed offered release and hope for a brighter future. Dr. Racheal Becker took me on a journey of emotions, all of which have opened me up to new possibilities. We talked though what recovery might look like for me and how to recognise early signs of distress. All in all, I feel as though a weight has been lifted and—for the first time in days—I can finally breathe again.

"Well, how was it?" asks Nan, disregarding her magazine in the waiting room.

"Great!" I tell her. "I'm coming back next week."

Nan beams, no doubt picking up on the positive energy oozing from me.

"Did you ask her about Freddie?"

I link my arm through hers and nod, filling her in on what Racheal said to me only moments ago. "She doesn't think seeing Freddie again will trigger me."

"That's fantastic!" she proclaims. "I can finally get rid of you!"

I playfully nudge her hip with mine and laugh, knowing deep down she's only joking.

"I might stay the night if that's okay?" I ask. "Racheal has given me some exercises to do on my own and I think it'll be good for me to try some before I head back."

"Of course it's okay, sweetheart. I've loved having you home with me."

I match her grin.

"I think Freddie's working today anyway. I'll see if he wants to pick me up tomorrow morning."

Nan doesn't live too far away from the city, but it's a good twenty-minute drive into the countryside and I want to give Freddie plenty of notice.

"Liam's taking me out for dinner tonight. It'll be nice for you to join us."

"What! And third wheel you guys?" I ask. "I don't think so!"

"What does third wheeling mean?"

"It means I'll be sat twiddling my thumbs while you two make eyes at each other."

She giggles and it's the sweetest of sounds.

"Tell him to come earlier," I suggest. "We'll have a quick catch up and then you can go out for dinner."

"Okay."

She pulls out her phone and makes the suggestion to Liam, much faster at texting than what she used to be. I imagine she's getting lots of practice in now that she's got a boyfriend.

"Shall we go for lunch?" I suggest, pointing towards a rather quaint looking bakery.

"Absolutely!" replies Nan, practically dragging me along. "They do the best sandwiches!"

***

Liam arrives earlier than expected, two bunches of flowers in hand.

"Hi cupcake," he greets, kissing Nan on the cheek.

I swear he fires her a cheeky wink.

"Aren't you Mr. Charming tonight?" she teases, accepting the roses from him.

He smiles and while switching his attention to me, extends his arms out, offering up the tulips.

"Thanks," I say, bringing the cloud of purple up to my nose. "Tulips are my favourite."

"Your Nan said," he replies, smiling.

She takes off his coat and hangs it up bedside mine in the hallway.