TWENTY-THREE

🌷Ana🌷

I straighten out the tray of biscuits on my coffee table for the fifteenth time, obsessed with everything appearing perfect. Freddie catches me doing it and gently places his hand on top of mine, smiling sympathetically.

"Babe, they look fine."

"Are you sure?" I ask, unconvinced.

"I mean, there's no salvaging it at this point. You don't even have Oreos."

I lightly nudge him in the ribs, taking his insult towards my biscuit selection personally. I'm glad he's here and that he's cracking jokes at my expense. I didn't think I'd be this nervous, but I'm moments away from freaking out and I don't know why.

"When is he getting here?"

I'm moments away from responding when my buzzer sounds.

"That's him!"

Freddie—sensing my unease—comes rushing over and takes hold of my face between his hands.

"Deep breaths," he encourages, lightly kissing the tip of my nose. "You're okay."

With his words rolling around in my head, I accept the call and walk towards my front door, ready to greet Liam O'Connor with the smile I've ceremoniously been practicing all morning. Earlier—with Freddie by my side—I'd called Liam in the hopes he'd be happy to meet up over a coffee. He'd been keen and insisted on coming as soon as possible, stating he'd been waiting years for—and I quote—fiery Catherine to get in touch.

I swing open the door, gasping at the sight in front of me. Liam O'Connor is tall and handsome, not much older than Nan. His dark hair is greying at the edges, adding a sliver of colour to his otherwise dark stubble and dark eyes. Hair and eye colour aside, it's like looking in a mirror. We share the same nose and lip shape, which normally I wouldn't fixate on. But growing up, I remember often being complimented on the two. Or rather, their uniqueness. I can only assume the same thought is running through his mind, given his inability to greet me. I never met Nan's husband—my grandpops—and the few pictures I've seen are pretty poor in quality. I've never had reason to question my roots. To wonder where I came from. Until today.

"It's nice to meet you, Liam," offers Freddie, taking control of the situation. "Why don't you come in? We've got biscuits."

Liam smiles, seemingly snapping out of his haze.

"Thanks. That'll be lovely."

This thick, Irish accent is smooth and light, relaxing me a little. Shocked or not, at least I know he's not hostile towards the situation.

"Did it take you long to get here?" asks Freddie, stepping in with the small talk I seem so incapable of offering.

"An hour or so. Traffic was good on the motorway."

Liam's gaze—once again—finds mine and we're locked in a moment of questions and confusion.

"Tea!" I blurt out, having lost the luxury of compiling full sentences.

Liam nods, happy to accept the excuse of making drinks to give us both a minute or two to process our thoughts. Thankfully, Freddie follows me into the kitchen a few seconds later, approaching me with caution.

"Ana—"

"Are you seeing what I'm seeing?" I ask, desperate for validation.

Freddie cringes. "Yeah..."

"He's got to be my grandad, right?"

He steps closer, momentarily capturing my attention. "Let's not jump to conclusions."