SIXTEEN

🌷Ana🌷

Work called and asked me to come in. Of course, I didn't say no which means I haven't seen Freddie at all since arguing with him yesterday. Perhaps I should've told work no? Perhaps the reason I didn't was intentional? I'm scared I've screwed up for good and facing my problems is a skill I've yet to master. Freddie has every reason to back away and the thought of that makes me want to drown my sorrows in the chocolate fudge cake I'm currently staring at.

"Don't look so sad," soothes Nic, sipping her water.

Unlike Sloan and I, she didn't get cake.

"Sorry. I'm not much company today," I apologise.

"Is this because of the fight you had with my brother?"

Sloan perks up, licking icing from her thumb. "You had a fight with Freddie?"

"He told you about that?" I ask.

Despite the café being relatively empty, I lean in closer. I don't want strangers listening to my problems and I especially don't want them knowing how much of a fucking idiot I am.

"He mentioned it," she admits.

"I screwed up, Nic."

Sloan reaches out, taking hold of my hand.

"We all do from time to time,' she assures. "Don't beat yourself up."

I sigh, feeling truly shit.

"Freddie isn't angry. He's hurt," explains Nic.

"That's worse!" I insist, making her laugh.

Sloan nudges my shoulder and gestures towards my fork. "Cake will help."

"Does he hate me?" I question.

Nic splutters, dribbling water down her chin. "Ana, Freddie couldn't hate you if he tried!"

Well... that's good.

"He's just not great at communicating. He's never had a girlfriend before."

"He's not—we're not—"

Sloan looks at me, eyebrows furrowed.

"We're neighbours."

They both nod.

"Who occasionally sleep together."

Nic laughs.

"That sounds... complicated," admits Sloan, spooning more cake into her mouth.

I follow suit and shovel a forkful in my mouth. "It wasn't, until I made it complicated."

Sloan sympathises. "Look, the Hudson brothers are a damn mystery at the best of times."

Nic nods, agreeing.

"But they're good men. Freddie just wants to love and be loved."

Nic attempts to catch Sloan's eye, signalling for her to stop talking about love.

"I'm sure you two can figure it out."

Judging by Nic's reaction, I suspect Freddie has filled her in on the nature of our relationship.

"I'm sure you're right," I reply, smiling.

Sloan excuses herself to use the bathroom and the second she's gone, Nic is hot on damage control.

"Ana—Freddie isn't expecting that from you."

"Expecting what?"

"Love," she clarifies. "Not yet."