SEVEN

🌷Anastasia🌷

The last few shifts at the hospital have been manic and I do nothing but sleep afterwards. I don't see Freddie during my rest period, and I'll admit, I miss him. Charlotte too. Saturday morning is here before I know it and I can't believe it's been a whole week since I moved in. It's incredible how much can change in just seven days. Freddie is responsible for majority of that change, but I try to take some credit for myself as well. My mindset has shifted slightly and while I'm aware I'm a long way off, I'm certainly thinking about Josh less and less.

"I am strong, successful and worthy of love. I am not a reflection of my past."

I decide to make an effort and throw on a yellow sundress. It's another hot day and this heatwave is showing no sign of slowing down. My hair goes up in a high ponytail and only a layer of gloss is applied to my lips. Any other makeup will simply melt in these temperatures.

"You look nice," I tell my reflection.

It's a little awkward and I don't fully believe it, but I smile nevertheless because I don't hate it. Rather, I don't hate me in it.

There's a knock at my door and I head into my living room, passing the unopened coffee machine that finally arrived two days late. I have every intention of setting it up later. When the guy dropped it off, I took one look at the instructions and deemed it a task for future Ana.

"Just a sec!" I shout, fiddling with the lock.

I swing open the door, revealing Freddie carrying Charlotte in one of those baby harnesses.

Sexy!

"Hey!"

"Hi."

His smile is blinding.

"You can say no," he begins, smirking. "But would you like to come to a five-year-old's birthday party with me?" He pauses, correcting himself. "With us."

He takes hold of Charlotte's hand and waves it as if to emphasise her presence. Her back is to me, so I take a step closer to peek at her face and am rewarded her beauty upon doing so. She's wearing a summer dress I can only assume has been purchased with the sweltering weather in mind and looks so comfortable nuzzled into her father's chest.

"I'd love to go with you both."

Freddie's grin is immediate.

"Let me just grab a few things," I say, opening the door wider.

They both step in and I quickly fire my belongings into a purse.

"You look lovely," he shares, watching me manoeuvre around my apartment.

I stop for a moment, taken off guard.

"Thanks."

"Ana?"

I say nothing.

"Ana—"

I throw the last of my items into my purse and offer him my gaze. He steps closer, eyes never once straying from mine.

"You look lovely," he repeats.

I blush from the attention, and I can't help but look away. He kisses both my burning cheeks and pulls me in for a side hug. "One day, you'll believe me."

"I hope so," I reply, feeling safe to say so in the comfort of his hold.

His smell is intoxicating.

Charlotte makes a cute nose and we both laugh, glad she's here to diffuse the seriousness of our conversation.