Prologue

Pierce

I pull my hoodie tighter around me as I watch her walk from the hospital. It's late, much later than she normally gets off from work. But that works better for me anyway. Even under the fluorescent bulbs of the parking garage she's still stunningly beautiful.  I can't believe that after all this time, just the sight of her still makes it hard for me to breathe. 

The sound of the gravel under her tennis shoes is the only thing stirring the otherwise quiet night. She has her keys in her hand, her eyes pinging from side to side as she stays alert. 

Good girl. 

But her watchful eyes and sharp keys can't protect her from everything. 

She gets in her car and takes off towards home. I get into my own, but don't rush. It's a route I'm familiar with, having driven it hundreds of times over the last six months. I take my time making the twists and turns until I get to her sweet little house on the edge of town. 

At first, I wondered why she lived there. So far away from other people and things to do. Then I realized that she doesn't really like to do much. When she's not at work, she's at home. She even orders her groceries and picks them up from the store rather than going in. There were the occasional night out with girls from work but other than that, she's a homebody. 

That makes her incredibly predictable. 

I park on a street a few blocks away, a different one from last night. And the night before that... And the night before that...

I walk towards her house, doing my best not to seem suspicious. There aren't many houses out here anyway and I've never had any issues. I get into her backyard in no time. There's no creak from her gate, since I oiled it a few months ago. I settle into the bush I always hide in, grabbing the binoculars I keep stashed there. I pull a stick of beef jerky and an energy drink from my pocket, trying to get comfortable.

I don't know for sure how long this is going to take. 

I put the binoculars up to my face, peering in through her kitchen window. I went in earlier today and pulled the curtains further apart so I could see her better. The light in her bedroom is on and I know she's probably showering like she does every time she gets home from work. Then she'll make herself a snack, watch a couple episodes of her favorite TV show, and then she'll go to bed. 

I see her shadow move through the house, her figure appearing in the small kitchen. The only light is from her bedroom, but the fridge casts a small glow when she opens it. My heart starts to hammer in my chest as I watch to see if all of my planning will finally come to fruition. 

I can see her silhouette in the light, her bare legs popping out from the oversized sweatshirt she wears to bed nearly every night. I smile a little to myself at the sight. She pulls a water bottle out of the fridge to drink it with her snack like she does every night. 

The last bottle. 

Exactly what I was waiting for. 

She takes a few large gulps before spooning herself some yogurt, cutting up a few strawberries and drizzling a little honey on top. I watch her walk through the house and into her living room where the TV is. I have to move to see her, so I push up from the ground and crouch down as I walk to the other side of the house. I'm a little more exposed here, so I pull the black hood of my sweatshirt up and sit at the base of a tree. She's facing away from the window and as I long as I stay still she won't notice me. I'm close enough I don't need the binoculars so I watch with anticipation as she eats her snack and takes sips of her water. I'm not too worried about her finishing the whole bottle. 

She always does. 

As if on cue, she licks her spoon and chugs the rest of her water. I check my watch, my eyes flitting between her and my wrist. The doctor said it would take about twenty minutes. 

After ten minutes her eyes start to droop. I grin at how cute she is as she pulls her blanket tighter around her, snuggling down into the cushions of her couch and shaking her head a little as she tries to stay awake. It's not long until she's no longer able to fight it and I watch as she slumps over on the couch, her chest rising and falling slowly as she sleeps peacefully. I watch for a couple more minutes, making sure she's really asleep before I stand and head towards my car. 

It's time to bring my girl home.