Chapter 11

Harlow

I start to stir from the comforting darkness of my sleep, groaning as I stretch and snuggle closer to the source of warmth next to me. My eyes flicker open and I remember that Pierce was next to me when I fell asleep. I hadn't really planned to cuddle with him, but he looked so comfy and him running his hands through my hair helped to soothe the pain in my head. I blink a few times and look up at him, a lazy grin spreading across his face when he sees I'm awake. 

"Hey, pretty girl." he murmurs, rubbing his hand up and down my back gently. I smile shyly, looking away as dangerous feelings of affection spread through me. I see Goose curled up on Pierce's belly, tucked up into my chest. I reach out and run my fingers through his fur until he starts to purr, making me giggle. I look up at Pierce and his eyes are so full of warmth, like there's no where in the world he'd rather be. 

"What are you thinking about?" I ask, my sleepy state making me say things I would probably not normally say. Pierce chuckles a little, his hand continuing to move up and down my back. 

"How this is the happiest I think I've ever been." he murmurs, tightening his arm around me for a moment. His words make warmth spread through me. I grin as I bury my face deeper into his chest, taking deep breaths of his scent. My movements cause Goose to wake up from his nap and he scowls at me, clearly annoyed at being bothered. Pierce chuckles at him, both of us watching as he stands and stretches before he darts up the stairs. 

"Can I ask you something?" I murmur, sitting up slightly. Pierce makes an affronted sound and tucks me back against him, making me smile as he nods. 

"Of course." he responds, settling back down and holding me close. 

"Why me?" I ask. 

"What do you mean?" he responds. 

"Why did you pick me of all people?" I clarify. He takes a deep breath, his hand resuming it's gentle motion up my back as he thinks for a moment. 

"I'm not good with people, Harlow." he starts. "That's how I've been my whole life. It used to drive my mother insane. I didn't know how to relate to others. How to hold a conversation. I was terrible at group activities like team sports or school projects. Then when I got older and started working for our company, they tried to put me in positions where I had to go in to the office every day. Sit in meetings, answer to investors. Shit I hate. Well, obviously I was terrible at it. It caused a huge strain on my relationship with my family. Especially my mother. She always seemed... disappointed in me." he says. As he explains his life, his childhood, my heart hurts for him. My relationship with my own mother could not have been more different. 

"So, what happened next?" I ask. He sighs again and gives me a tight smile. 

"Finally, I had it out with my parents and brother. My sister has always been more understanding of my... quirks. So she was on my side. I told them I was miserable. That I knew they had always wanted me to work for our company, but if they weren't willing to make some changes, to accommodate my needs a little more, then I would find employment elsewhere that would." he explains. 

"This is interesting." I say. "But I'm not really sure what it has to do with me." I say. Pierce chuckles and pinches my side teasingly. 

"I'm getting there, love." he murmurs. 

"I'm proud of you, though. Standing up for yourself like that." I say. Pierce smiles warmly at me, kissing me on the forehead before he continues. 

"They agreed to let me work from home. They gave me a position in a department I am much more interested in. For the first time in my life I felt like I was given an option. It seemed like my whole life was planned out for me from the moment I was born just because of my last name. Don't get me wrong, I'm incredibly grateful for the opportunities I've been given, for the privileges I was allowed. But the stress of forcing myself to live a life that I didn't enjoy, that gave me constant anxiety... Well, it wasn't worth it. No matter how upset it made my family." he says.