Chapter 9

Harlow

I grin to myself as I walk towards the bathroom to change. I was surprised when I realized that I actually missed Pierce over the last few days. I wasn't really sure why he pulled back from me so hard, if he was trying to let me adjust to living here or if he was just busy, but I found myself wishing he would spend more time with me. At first I thought I was just lonely but, truth be told, I'm not much of a people person. I do well alone. That's why I haven't worked hard to have friendships or relationships since my mom died. I enjoy the quiet of living alone, not having to answer to anyone, not having people rely on me. 

I enter the small bathroom and open a door on the other side. My mouth drops at the wide variety of bathing suits that Pierce bought for me. I'm happy to see a few more modest options, as well as some that show more skin. I go for a full coverage black option that still looks flattering when I slide it on. I grab a couple of towels and head back out to the pool. Just as I finish arranging them on the towel warmer, I hear the door open and turn to see Pierce enter the room. He smiles warmly at me and I feel my heart flutter a little in my chest. I watch him as he walks towards one of the loungers. He slips off his shirt and throws it down before turning and starting towards me. 

I try not to stare at his body, biting my lip as I turn towards the pool and wait for him, but I can't help but notice his large shoulders, strong chest and the way his waist tapers into his swim trunks. My fingers itch to reach out and touch him, but I shut those feelings down as I walk to the shallow end of the pool, wading in. There's a slight wave to it from the waterfall, but the water is warm against my skin. 

I let out a pleased sound and close my eyes as I enjoy the feeling of the water enveloping me. I hear Pierce walk into the water behind me, his body moving closer to mine as I spin in the water. His low chuckle rings through the room and my eyes slip open to see him watching me from the other side of the pool, a wide grin on his face. 

"What?" I ask, a smile on my own face as well. 

"You're adorable." he murmurs. I laugh a little, rolling my eyes as I wander away from him. 

"This is amazing." I say quietly as I push off from the pool floor, doing a lazy doggy paddle towards the waterfall. 

"I thought we were going to race?" Pierce asks, still watching me from the other end of the pool. 

"Just enjoy the tranquility of the moment." I shoot back, trying to float on my back. He chuckles again.

"You challenged me. And I'm highly competitive." he answers. I stand up to look at him, throwing my now wet hair up on top of my head. 

"Really?" I ask, genuinely surprised by his admission. 

"Yes. It's the way I was raised." he admits. I wander towards him in the pool, getting to a shallow enough spot that I can sit on the ground and be covered to my shoulders in water. I rest my arm on the edge of the pool, laying my head on it as I look up at him. 

"That's interesting. You've never told me much about your family." I say. 

"You haven't asked." he responds, moving closer to sit next to me, his back against the pool side as he looks out the window. 

"You're right. I haven't. What's your family like?" I inquire. He heaves out a heavy sigh and I wonder if it's maybe not his favorite topic.

 "I'm the middle child. I have an older brother and a younger sister. My brother was the popular one. Did every sport he could think of. Some most people haven't even heard of. You know what pickleball is?" he asks me. I giggle a little and shake my head. 

"Nope." I respond. Pierce nods and goes back to looking out the window.

"Well, Shane was proficient in it. Dead sure he was going pro." Pierce says, smiling slightly.