Chapter 27

Harlow

It took awhile, since Pierce is incredibly independent and apparently stubborn as well, but I was finally able to get him home. Pulling up to the mansion, knowing I would be staying here with him left me feeling settled in a way that I hadn't even before he let me go. Now I can say with absolute certainty that I'm here because I want to be. Not because he's forcing me. 

"Are you sure you don't just want to lay on the couch?" I ask him, eyeing the stairs nervously as he makes his way towards them.

The spiral beauty has never looked so dangerous. 

"No, love. I want to lay in our bed with you." he says, kissing my head before grabbing the banister. 

I walk next to him, holding him up slightly as we go slowly towards the top. I don't rush him, knowing his pace may be slow for a few days. When we get to his room, I push open the door and the scent that hits me is a little off putting. I look around the room to see it practically in shreds, the sheets barely on the bed, clothes laying on the floor, a bowl of something that may have been soup, but also may have been cereal on the bedside table. I look over at Pierce who gives me a sheepish smile. 

"Sorry. I was kind of a mess without you here." he says sadly. I sigh and steer him towards the chair in the corner. 

"I was too, babe. Just relax and I'll clean this up." I say, pulling the sheets off the bed. 

"You don't have to clean up after me." he says, trying to stand and help me but I level him with a firm look. 

"Sit down. I've got this." I say more gently. 

It doesn't take long to clean the room and I crack a window. The freezing cold air quickly sanitizes the smell of the room and I can breathe a little easier. Pierce looks uncomfortable slightly slumped in his chair so once I'm finished I walk over to him. I cup his face in my hands and he looks up at me with so much warmth I wonder how I ever doubted this man's intentions. 

"You want to lay down? Or shower?" I ask. He grins at me and lifts his hands to my hips, pulling me until I'm in between his legs. He lowers his head until he rests it against my chest. I let my fingers glide up into his hair, massaging his scalp gently. I'm sure he has a headache from the concussion and the soft touches should help. 

"A shower would be good. Will you join me?" he asks coyly, looking up at me with a grin. "I still get a little dizzy." I giggle and nod. 

"I better then. For safety reasons." I add and he chuckles before he stands. 

"Yes. For safety reasons." he grips my hand and starts towards the bathroom before he stops suddenly. "I better text my sister. I think I've put her through enough stress for a few days." 

"I already did." I say. He looks at me curiously before turning to face me. 

"How did you do that?" he asks. 

"I got her number from your phone." I say with a shrug. 

"You figured out my passcode?" he asks. 

"It wasn't that difficult. It's my birthday." I say with a grin. "You're really not that complicated I add. He smiles back and nods before leaning forward to kiss my cheek. 

"The best day ever." he adds making me blush. 

I follow him into the bathroom and watch as he turns the knob to start the water before pulling his shirt over his head in one fluid motion. I bite my lip and try to hold back a groan as my eyes take in his broad shoulders and hard chest. I walk towards him slowly, reaching out to let my fingertips glide along his skin. Before I can stop myself I lean into him, placing kisses up his chest to his neck. He makes a pleased sound and wraps his arms around my waist, pulling me into him and holding on tight. His hands glide under my shirt, teasing the skin just above the top of my pants. I lift my arms for him and he pulls my shirt over my head for me, tucking his face into my neck as his hands explore every inch of my skin. 

"I missed you so much." he murmurs, his warm breath across my skin making me shiver. 

"I missed you, too." I say back, reaching towards his pants to undo the button. I want all of him pressed against me, as much skin to skin contact as I can get. 

"You're going to stay with me, right?" he asks almost desperately, like he needs the reassurance. I smile and nod, pushing up on tiptoe to kiss him gently. 

"Yes, Pierce. I'm yours now." I murmur before kissing him again. 

When we're both undressed he pulls me into the shower, the warm spray instantly melting the tension from my body. I didn't realize how much stress I was feeling even after knowing Pierce was going to be alright. He moves quickly, grabbing my wrist and spinning me until I crash into his firm embrace. He wraps me in his arms, tucking us under the warm water as he holds me tight. I feel my lungs fully inflate with air for the first time since I watched him drive away. 

"Why did you just leave me standing there in that parking lot?" I ask, running my hands up and down his back. He grunts a little at my question, tightening his hold on me. 

"I was kind of hoping you'd follow me home." he admits sheepishly. 

"And kick your ass?" I ask. He barks out a laugh in response. 

"That would have been better than this empty house, I can promise you that." he says, his face softening as he looks down at me. 

"It wasn't great for me either." I answer. 

"I just needed to know, Harlow. I had to be sure that you wanted me. Not that I was forcing you to be here. I didn't think I could let you go any other way." he says gently, lifting his hand to run his thumb down my cheek. 

"Well, now you know. So don't ever do that to me again." I say sternly, smacking his chest playfully. 

"Never." he says, leaning down to catch my lips in a firm kiss. I wrap my arms around his neck and lean into him, kissing him back just as hard. His tongue slips out to explore my mouth and I savor the taste of him. I let myself relax into him until my body is melded to his. We stay like this for a long while, locked in an embrace until eventually the water starts to cool. 

I pull away to soap him up, letting my hands glide along his body. He closes his eyes and enjoys the feel of my touch before he does the same to me. Once we're clean, we don't bother getting dressed. Instead, Pierce pulls me into bed and wraps his body around mine. 

"Are you hungry?" I ask him, running my fingers through his hair. He shakes his head and tightens his hold, refusing to let me go. 

"No. You stay here." he says firmly and I giggle at his demand. "Unless you're hungry. Are you hungry?" he asks worriedly and I shake my head. 

"No. I'll stay." I say, relaxing into his hold. 

"Just like this." he murmurs, his eyes getting heavy. The pain medication he took likely is kicking in so I hold him as he wanders into sleep. He starts to fight it, his body jolting every few minutes as he tries to force himself to stay awake. 

"Just relax, honey. I'll still be here when you wake up." I whisper in his ear as I continue to run my my fingers through his hair. 

"You promise?" he asks with a sleepy little yawn. I grin and kiss his head. 

"I promise." I respond. 

"I love you." he murmurs, pressing a kiss into my neck. 

"I love you, too." I say back. 

The smile stays on his face until he's fast asleep.