Chapter 24

Harlow

Five days. 

It's been five days since Pierce left me in that parking lot and I haven't heard so much as a whisper from him. 

The shock wore off around the third day. Now I'm just pissed. And honestly, I'm holding on to that anger for dear life because I know when it wears off all that will be left is pain. 

And I'm not ready to feel the pain yet. 

Part of my processing has been going over his words again and again in my mind. I understand what he was saying. I don't even fault him for it, but he could have gone about it in a different way. A better way. But then part of me wonders if he even meant what he said. Maybe he just doesn't want me anymore. 

That's the painful part. 

Maybe after a few months together he realized I'm not as great as he thought I am. Maybe he got bored or even annoyed with me. Maybe he figured out that there really isn't anything special about me. 

I sigh and take another bite of ice cream. 

I went to the store yesterday. I've been eating my feelings so the fully stocked fridge didn't last long. I was worried about paying for groceries, so I logged onto my bank account. When I saw how much money Pierce put into my account I almost passed out. It was more money than I could ever spend in my lifetime. 

I could be in France right now. Drinking wine on a terrace as I watch the sun go down, rolling hills of green in the distance. But when I imagine it, I see Pierce right next to me. 

I don't want to go without him. 

I sigh and take another bite just as a knock rings out from my door. My heart starts to pound and I bounce between hoping it's Pierce, here to take me home, and hoping that if it is him I'll have the strength to punch him in the balls. 

He deserves it. 

I swing the door open and am met with a beautiful woman about my age. She's slightly taller than me with long brown hair and a warm smile. I smile back out of politeness. 

"Can I help you?" I ask. 

"I'm sorry. I'm standing here staring at you like an idiot. I just can't believe you're real. Part of me thought his psyche finally broke and you were a hallucination." she says with a giggle. 

"What?" I ask. 

"My name is Etta Arnoult." she says, holding her hand out for me. Her bag swings and makes a weird sound. 

A meowing, I realize. 

"Goose?" I ask, reaching for the bag and taking it from her. 

"So the cat's name is actually Goose. I'll have to apologize to Pierce later. I called him crazy." she says, following me into my house, but staying close to the door. 

"Pierce?" I ask and she nods. 

"I just came from there." she explains, a darkness taking over her face as she looks away from me. 

"How is he?" I ask, unzipping Goose's carrier. He hops out and stretches before heading straight for his food bowl. Etta sighs a little before looking at me. "I'm sorry. Please come in. Sit down." I offer and she does, sitting on my couch. I sit on the other end and angle myself to look at her. 

"Honestly, Harlow? He's miserable." she says sadly. 

"He told you about me, I'm guessing?" I ask and she nods. "Has he ever done something like that before?" I ask and she furrows her brow at me.