PRISONER OF AZKABAN

THE POTIONEER | 1

THE POTIONEER | 1.0
"ELIZABETH CARVER WAS A WITCH"
Diagon Alley, London | 1993

0"ELIZABETH CARVER WAS A WITCH"Diagon Alley, London | 1993

ELIZABETH CARVER WAS A WITCH

ELIZABETH CARVER WAS A WITCH. She remembered receiving her letter from Hogwarts like it was yesterday, but she guessed everyone did, because it was pretty much the moment everyone waits for, if they were aware of it. She remembered how she had been sitting at her window seat above Diagon Alley, pillow against her back as she read through yet another recipe book from her mother, eyes wide as saucers as she examined each and every word with a childlike scrutiny. Although nothing could ever tear her eyes away from those dog-eared pages, a small tap at the window nearly scared her out of her skin.

From her new position on her bedroom floor, pillow scattered beside her, book far across the room, Elizabeth found an owl at her window. She wasn’t surprised by the mode of communication, she was more surprised that anyone was writing to her. She knew little to no people outside of her family, only the Weasleys and the Lovegoods, but she didn’t think she would get any mail from them. Elizabeth opened her window, the owl swooping in over her head before landing on her dresser, offering its leg out where a letter was attached with some string. And that was when she had seen the Hogwarts crest.

Her parents had been thrilled, her mother more than anyone. Sheila Carver was a renowned Potioneer, and she had an apothecary in Diagon Alley, one that was called “Red Flame Apothecary”. It was the most famous in Europe, wizards and witches alike traveled from afar just to buy ingredients from it. Sheila had been a Ravenclaw in her time at Hogwarts, gaining perfect grades in her OWLs and NEWTs. She had been a golden student, and only hoped the same for her daughter, although she had a sense her daughter had a flair for mischief.