*Prologue: Lost Girl-Cub*

*DISCLAIMER: This is based on the Disney classic, The Jungle Book, with its characters and songs, but there will be references from the original novel, films, and the 2016 remake. This is for fan purposes ONLY. There is no Mowgli, only my character I created for this retelling. Visit my deviantart page to learn more about Rayna. Thank you for reading and enjoy!*

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the jungle of India, there is a group of people passing through. On the carriage, there are two children. A 5-year-old boy and a 2-year-old girl with their mother and father and the hunters. The boy, Hunar, gave his baby sister his necklace with a tooth as a charm. He smiled at her.

"Hunar, is this wise to give that to little Rayna?" His mother spoke.

"It is a lucky charm. My sister may need it. It will protect her." Hunar replied. The mother smiled. Rayna is a small child with short black hair and brown eyes. This is her first trip to the jungle. But it will be the day she will remain.

XX

The tiger, Shere Khan, was watching the hunters by the campfire with hate in his yellow eyes. How he despises humans. His giggling sidekick, Tabaqui, the striped hyena, watched the camp along with him.

"Fresh meat." Tabaqui giggled.

"Silence, Tabaqui." Shere Khan ordered. "These hunters will use those sticks to shoot. They think the Red Flower will keep them safe." He looked over at the tent to see where two small children were kept. "Man-cubs." Shere Khan smirked. Tabaqui tried to contain his excitement for this feast.
Now that the time is right, Shere Khan leaped in and let out a menacing roar to the humans. The men let out a cry of alarm, and women screaming in fear. Tabaqui laughed as he joined in. The hunters grabbed their guns, trying to shoot the tiger.

"Shoot it! Kill it!" A hunter yelled. Shere Khan swung his paw at him, leaving a scratch on his arm.

"You hunters are all the same." Shere Khan chuckled. Hunar and Rayna peeked out of their tent to see their parents along with the hunters. Rayna is so scared. Shere Khan lunged at the father.

"Father!" Hunar cried out. Rayna started crying. She closes her eyes. All she could hear was screaming and roaring. Hunar rushed over to the torch and set it on fire. Shere Khan roared at the small boy. The hunter pulled the boy away and held up a gun. Shere Khan leaped out of the way from the bullet. Rayna opened her eyes and left the tent. She wanted to get away. She took off to the dark jungle as the fight continues at the camp. Hunar turned his head back and see his baby sister is missing. "Rayna! Rayna!" He called.

"We got a runner!" Tabaqui yelled as he watched the small girl run away. But Shere Khan isn't done with the hunters yet. He turned to see the mother weeping over her husband's body. He smiled. He roared as he sprung towards the helpless mother...

Rayna wandered far into the dark jungle. She could still hear the sounds of the tiger and hunters screaming. If she stayed there, she could die. The little girl stood in the darkness, whimpering. Where could she go?
The black panther, Bagheera, had been hearing the commotion. He caught the scent of the girl-cub. He came out of the bushes to see her. He approached her slowly. Rayna noticed him. The panther studied her, checking for wounds. She is unharmed. But she will be if Shere Khan has found her. Bagheera knew he must do something to help.

XX

Bagheera carried the child to the wolves' den and see the father wolf, Rama. The dark gray wolf with gold eyes. The wolf's ears perk up when he hears the panther approach, but with a girl-cub. Bagheera puts Rayna down. Rama's eyes widen. He's never seen a girl-cub.