*Chapter 4: Decisions*

Weeks have passed since that dreadful encounter, and the rains had soon returned. As the clouds formed, thunder crackled as animals in the jungle retreated in safe places. But the question had been running the wolf pack's heads. How many lives is a girl-cub worth? Each day, Rayna and Grey watched with worried expressions as the rains slowly made the water rise making Peace Rock disappear more and more. Grey looked over at his sister sadly, and Rayna felt like something needed to be done.

On another day, Rayna watched the elders stood on council rock. She could hear them argue and bicker. Even her parents are arguing with the other wolves about Rayna. The girl-cub had a feeling that some wolves wanted her to go, but others fight for her to stay and protect her from Shere Khan. The tiger's threat could not be ignored. Rayna was tired of waiting and walk up to the council rock. She approached the pack and face Akela with a firm look.

"Akela." She spoke. The wolves face her. "Why can't we all face Shere Khan? There is more of us and one of him!" She exclaimed.

"Rayna, go back to your den!" Rama said.

"No!" Rayna said. "Father, I'm the reason why Shere Khan is targeting you all. But we shouldn't stand down! He's been trying to kill me for years! I get away from any predator like him. I can challenge him-"

"Silence your tone, daughter!" Rama snapped. "You shouldn't speak to us with that tone!" Rayna blinked at him and closed her mouth. Rama knew that Rayna never meant to speak to him or anyone this way. She is angry. He couldn't blame her. Shere Khan was the one to blame to make the pack this way.

"Rayna." Akela softly spoke. Rayna looked up at him. "You don't know how strong Shere Khan is. Our pack isn't strong enough to challenge him. I understand you want to do this to protect us, but you don't have the strength to face the tiger. He hates man."

"This cub should be with her own kind!" One wolf spoke up. The other wolves started to bicker again. Rayna made a look. Rama stood in front of the wolves with Akela behind him.

"Enough!" He barked. "Rayna is my daughter! I make the decisions! I can't just send her away!"

"She is not a wolf, father!" Onyx spoke. "Rayna will never be like any of us! She is bad at hunting!"

"And she uses those dumb tricks that a wolf never does!" Scout said.

"Yeah!" Roan agreed. Grey growled and stood in front of his brothers.

"You watch what you three say! Rayna is our sister!" He said, his fur rising. Scout got in front of Grey's face. They are growling at each other, ready for a fight. Raksha got in between them.

"Sons! Enough!" She scolded them. She looked up at Rayna. "Come now, daughter. Return to your den. We will discuss this in the morning." She nudges Rayna's behind to make her walk towards the den. Rayna couldn't argue. She walked towards the den and got to her spot in the corner. Raksha sighed and lay next to her. "We will make this work, dear. Don't worry about Shere Khan. We will protect you." She said.

"Mother, Shere Khan could come here and hurt you all. It will be my fault." Rayna said, bringing her legs up to her chest. "I need to be strong, mother. One day I will face Shere Khan and show him that he is not important to the jungle. Creatures fear him."

"The jungle fears him. That is true, Rayna. But you don't have what it takes to challenge him." Raksha told her. "Your father and I will do anything to keep you safe. That day when that tiger marked you, I was so scared. Your father and Akela faced Shere Khan together, but they are not strong together to finish him. Shere Khan fled." Rayna shuts her eyes, letting out a sigh.

"I thought I was a goner." She spoke. "I've had...bad dreams. Those yellow eyes, those claws. I swore I will make him pay for humiliating me. I am tired of being kept silent." Raksha gave her a lick on the cheek. She told her to get some sleep as she left the den to return to the council rock. Rayna moves her hair behind her ear and stare out to see the pack at the council rock. She sings to herself.

"Here comes a wave,
Meant to wash me away.
A tide that is taking me under,
Broken again,
Left with nothing to say.
My voice drowned out in the thunder.
But I can't cry,
And I can't start to crumble.
Whenever they try,
To shut me or cut me down."

Akela and the wolves continue to talk of what they should do with Rayna. Her parents and supportive brother are the ones who will fight for her to stay with them. Rayna held her necklace with a tooth. She closes her eyes as she sings softly.

"I can't stay silent.
Though they wanna keep me quiet.
And I tremble when they try it,
All I know is I won't go speechless."

She lays down at her spot, drawing out the voices of the wolves as she tries to sleep for the night. Rayna hoped things will turn out to be all right by morning. Outside the den, Bagheera shook his head as the meeting continues. Rama glanced up at the panther. He approached towards the tree.

"Bagheera. May I have a word?"

"Of course, Rama." Bagheera climbed down as the two left the den to have a stroll. "If there is anything I could do to help-"

"Bagheera. What would you do to keep Rayna safe? From all of this?" Rama asked. "Would you fight for her or send her to...elsewhere?"

"Elsewhere? You mean...the man village?" Bagheera asked. "What did Akela say?"

"Well...he says it is risky to keep Rayna in our pack. But we do not know where the man village is." Rama replied. "I don't think Rayna could trust man. She was raised by us. She is close to a full-grown human. She knows how to defend herself and knows tricks."

"What do you think it's best, Rama?" Bagheera asked. "Should Rayna go to her kind, or should she stay with you? Shere Khan will come for her." Rama sighed. Bagheera knew that this is hard for Rama. He loves Rayna so much. He couldn't let Rayna face the tiger. The wolf turned to the panther.

"Rayna should be away for a while." He spoke. "Who knows when that tiger will come around?" Bagheera nodded. He will take Rayna for a walk to stall for time. He doesn't know how long Rayna will be away from the pack. Bagheera will do anything to help the wolf pack.