*Chapter 7: Lost in the Jungle*

After a few hours had passed, Rayna was on the floating log in the calming waters of the river. After she left the buffalo herd and got in the river earlier, she is focused on one thing, finding her friends. She hoped Bagheera and Tailsy are safe from Shere Khan and Tabaqui. Bagheera fought for her to protect her from that tiger. Even Tailsy was brave enough to face the hyena. Rayna wished she could face Shere Khan right then and there, but Bagheera told her to run to the north. He and Tailsy will find her. But it's been too long since she escaped from Shere Khan.
Rayna looks cautiously around at the unfamiliar parts of the jungle as the log finally reached the muddy shore. The girl got off the tree bark and look up at the trees. She could hear the birds chirping around them. As she walks around, calling for Bagheera and Tailsy, hoping they could hear her and come running toward her, but no sound or response. Rayna sighed as she continues to move forward. The blue baby bird chirped loudly, trying to hop away from her feet. Rayna kneeled down and pick up the bird.

"Aww. Did you fall from your nest?" She asked him. She looked up to see the mother bird, chirping at her baby, telling him to fly. "Oh. I see. You're about to leave your nest." Rayna said with a smile. "It'll be okay. Flap your wings, little guy." The baby bird flaps his little wings, and his feet is lifted off her hands. He sees he is flying and chirp happily to Rayna who giggled. The baby bird flew towards his mother, and they fly away together. Rayna smiled and bid them goodbye. Then, her stomach started to growl. "I need to find something to eat." She said to herself.
While Rayna continued to search for food, she was delighted to see a banana tree filled with mounds of delicious bananas. But how was she going to get them down? Her spear was broken. Rayna started looking for anything she could use as tools to help get them down, not realizing she was being watched in different directions. There are a couple of birds in the trees, a few monkeys above them, and two hedgehogs in the tall grass. They saw Rayna cut vines with a sharp rock. As well, she created another spear like the one she had before, but a shorter stick this time. She knew this was against the rules of the wolf pack to use her "tricks." But the girl was so hungry that she didn't even have a choice but to use tricks. Rayna threw the vines around the tree and pull it down, bringing the bananas low enough for her to reach. She grabbed her new spear and use it to cut a huge mound of bananas from a spot from the branches. As the mound plopped down to the ground, Rayna grinned and released the vines.

"Yes!" She says as she grabs the food and sat on the tree bark. She took one banana and started to devour it. The animals were fascinated by Rayna's trick. The monkeys watched the girl eat the food but set their eyes on the rest of the mound. They smile to each other and nod. Rayna finished her first banana and went for the second one.

"Hey, girl-cub!" A voice spoke from above the tree branch. Rayna looked up to see a monkey hanging with one arm. "You new here? I've never seen a girl-cub around these parts!"

"At this part of the jungle, yes." Rayna replied. "I'm not here for trouble."

"No trouble at all, girl-cub!" The monkey said. The second monkey snuck up behind Rayna and about to grab the bananas. "I do like that trick you just did! You should teach us sometime!"

"Us?" Rayna wondered. She turned around and see the second monkey snatch her bananas and climb up the tree. The monkeys started to laugh at her. "Hey! Those are mine!" Rayna yelled, standing on her feet. The monkeys held the mound up, taunting her.

"Come and get 'em, girl-cub!" One monkey said, laughing while the other is sticking his tongue out. Rayna started to chase them down to the jungle.

"Get back here with my food!" She yelled. "Ugh, can't this day get any worse?!"

Grey sat alone by his den, looking out at the view of the jungle, still sad that Rayna left the pack for a time being. Rama walked over to his son and sat next to him. Scout, Roan, and Onyx stare at them in silent. They don't care that Rayna left, but they kept their mouths shut about it.

"Are you alright, son?" Rama asked.

"Why did she have to leave? We could've protected her." Grey asked. "Shere Khan is nothing but a coward!"

"Son, keep your tone down!" Rama said. "He could be nearby hearing you and you will face his wrath!" Grey doesn't care. Rama sighed. "This is the way to protect her. She will return someday soon. Whenever it is safe, I will send my word to Chil. Wherever Rayna is, I am sure she is safe with Bagheera." Before Grey could respond, they hear a sound coming from Chil. She lands on a nearby rock. "Chil. What is it?" Rama asked.

"Shere Khan and Tabaqui were chasing Rayna. Fear not, Rama. Rayna is safe." Chil spoke.

"Oh no." Raksha gasped as she stood up. "My dear cub."

"Where is Rayna now?" Rama asked.

"Somewhere in the north side of the jungle." Chil said. "I don't know where Bagheera is, but I'm certain he will find her. He never gives up on the girl-cub." Rama starts to worry about Rayna. "I will look for Rayna out there. If she is alive, I will come back to you." Chil said.

"Please do." Raksha said. Chil jumped and flew off to the sky. Rama made a look and about to leave. Akela ran around and stopped him.

"Where are you going?"

"I'm going to stop Shere Khan myself. My daughter is being hunted out there!" Rama said. "I should never let her go if I've known-"

"Rama, you are no match for the tiger!" Akela argued. "Shere Khan is too strong!"

"Akela's right, love." Raksha said. "You can't face Shere Khan alone."

"I'm going with father." Grey said, standing up. "Rayna is my sister and I want to go out there and look for her."

"Brother, you are crazy!" Scout said.

"What if you get killed out there?" Onyx asked.

"Rayna isn't worth saving!" Roan said. Rama growled at his sons to silence them. Grey looks at his father in the eyes with a firm look. Rama turned to Akela.

"Akela, my son and I will return unharmed." He spoke. "All I want is my daughter to come back. I will fight Shere Khan if I must. I do anything to protect my family." Akela knew he is going to regret this decision but allows Rama and Grey to go out there. Rama and Raksha nuzzle each other. "I will return, Raksha. I promise you." He said.

"You better." Raksha said. "Son, be very careful out there."

"Of course, mother." Grey said. He gave a nod to his brothers before taking off with Rama. The wolves watch them disappear into the jungle. Raksha closes her eyes.

'Rayna. Please be alright.' She thought.

"Stupid monkeys." Rayna grumble to herself as she cleans herself from the juices of fruit. The monkeys threw moldy fruit at her, and they won the mound of bananas. She uses water to clean her face, hair, and arms. After taking a quick drink, she must search for something else to eat. She is still hungry.
The jungle is getting dark, and the animals are in their homes to rest. Rayna finished eating the mango fruit as she walks down the path. Now she needs to find a place to rest. Sounds of bats are heard above her, flying in the night sky, squeaking in their language.

'I hope Bagheera and Tailsy will find me soon.' Rayna thought. She started to look around to find a place to sleep for the night. It's been a rough day for her. An owl hooted to her from his tree, watching her with his big eyes. Rayna kept walking in the dark jungle, looking up at the full moon as her only light. Ahead of her is a big, tall tree. She looks up at it, placing her hand on the bark.

"I should be safe up there." Rayna said to herself. She started to climb up the tree, grunting a bit. "I hope this tree isn't taken." Little did she know, a pair of yellow eyes is watching her...