*Chapter 6: Hunted*

Tailsy went up to the tree and found some fruit for Rayna. He drops some for her to catch. Rayna caught a mango fruit and took a bite out of it. Bagheera rests on a tree branch as Rayna and Tailsy are helping themselves to find food. Tailsy has found acorns for himself to feast on. Rayna placed her spear down and went off to find herself some water.
She has found a pond in a quiet spot. She grinned and rush over to the water. She cups her hands together and gather water to drink. The water is nice and cold. Rayna took off her shoes and put her feet in the water. It wouldn't hurt to have a little swim, would it? Rayna got in the water and start to float on her back, looking up at the trees blocking the sunlight. She closes her eyes, enjoying the relaxing moment. Rayna dove into the water and see some fish swim pass her. She reached up, gasping for air and shook her head a bit. She swam back to where her shoes are, but she hears a rustling sound. Rayna got out of the water and put her shoes back on and quietly went behind the tree. She poked her head out and see Shere Khan and Tabaqui appear. Rayna's eyes widen.

'Shere Khan and Tabaqui. What are they doing here?' Rayna thought to herself. She had to stay still and silent since she doesn't have a spear with her. She must wait till they are gone. Shere Khan was drinking water as Tabaqui caught a whiff of a scent. The tiger looked over at him.

"What is it now, Tabaqui?"

"You should know this smell, boss." Tabaqui spoke as he sniffs the ground. Shere Khan caught a whiff of a familiar scent.

"Ah." Shere Khan smirked. "The girl-cub was here. She should be close by." Rayna had to get out of here somehow. Shere Khan slowly approaches the tree where she is hiding. Rayna shuts her eyes tight, hearing his purr. A menacing purr. Shere Khan was about to get around the tree until a voice is heard from the tree behind him.

"Well, well! If it isn't the scariest cat in the jungle!" The voice laughed. Shere Khan slowly turned his head towards the vulture. Lucky.

"Ugh. It's you." Tabaqui uttered. "What do you want, Lucky?"

"Oh, I was in the neighborhood. And I did see that girl-cub you were looking for!" Lucky told him. Rayna's eyes widen in fear. Shere Khan let out a chuckle and walk away to be next to his hyena sidekick. Rayna took a peek at Shere Khan and Tabaqui as their attention is on the vulture. Lucky gave the girl a wink as he started talking. Rayna will have to thank him later. She silently walked away. "Now, uh, where did I see her?" Lucky wondered, pacing on the branch. "She was here, and then...not anymore!"

"Where is she now?" Tabaqui asked. "Her scent here is fresh."

"Right, right. She, uh, uh...she went to the...the grassland! Yeah, that's it! The grassland!" Lucky said, hoping the trick will work. Shere khan raised a brow.

"The grassland, eh?" He asked.

"Think about it, boss. We could easily hide in the grass, and you could tackle her down!" Tabaqui said with a grin. "She won't suspect a thing."

"No, she won't, Tabaqui. Let us go there." Shere Khan said, turning away.

"Ooh! Ooh! Can we also snatch on a water buffalo while we're at it?" Tabaqui asked, following the tiger. "Can we? Can we? Please?"

"Shut up, Tabaqui!" Shere Khan growled at him, making the hyena yelp. Tabaqui lowered his ears, telling the tiger he is sorry. The two walked off. Lucky wiped his forehead in relief.

XX

Rayna hurried back to her friends. Tailsy dropped his acorn as he watches Rayna shake the panther awake. Bagheera grumbled and woke up to see Rayna.

"Wh-what? What is it?"

"We have to go!" Rayna said, catching her breath. "Shere Khan is here." Bagheera's eyes widen. Tailsy whimpered a bit. Bagheera didn't think that the tiger could come around these parts. He figured Shere Khan must've followed Rayna's scent.