Chapter 8: Am I going soft?

Authors note: Sorry for not updating... I'm horrible I know...

Jared POV

I don't really know why I stole her journal, maybe I was hoping to find something that linked her to the girl on Wattpad. I needed to find this out before her or my rep will be ruined. Today was the day for homecoming and I didn't know if I was going yet or not, but knowing that Arianna was going to be with her scrawny boyfriend made it almost impossible to say no and not go.

I pull into the school parking lot next to Ricky's car. He was in the car making out with some chick he met at a party yesterday. I look away, after giving him an approval nod. I look ahead and see Arianna with her dip wad boyfriend. James scans the parking lot. I see him staring at something. I know that look. He is smirking at a girl that hooked up with me last week. He winks at the girl and she twirls her hair. What the hell? Arianna who was too busy with a book in her face to notice. I feel the blood boil inside of me. I clench my fist, yanking open my door and slam it behind me. I don't know why I was doing this. What did that nerdy freak mean to me? She just lived in my house. Ricky, who left the girl in his car was now right behind me, he knew something was up.

"Bro what are you doing?" He asks catching up to me.

"I'm about to smash some kids face in." I growl. James is still “flirting” with the girl. But he looks back at Arianna every once in a while to make sure he isn’t caught. Though this guy is a total dirt bag, I give him props. He knows what to do.

"I got your back dude but who?" He questions. Scanning the crowd of kids in front of the school wondering who I’m gonna fight.

"Does it matter?" I retort. I look over at Rickey and he shrugs.

“Well I just don’t want to lose a fight man that kills your rep ya know.”

“Really that’s what you’re stressing about? You’re such a pansy.” I say with a laugh.

“Hey you should be worried too dummy, mine won’t be the only one ruined.”

“So who are we fighting?” He asks again.

“Are you seriously that worried about it?” I look over at him and he shrugs

"No, just wondering..." He says awkwardly.

"Arianna's boyfriend." I say, monotone.

“That geek? Why?" 

"Enough with the questions." I snap. Some people were staring at the two us. The girl walks to James and runs her hand down his arm. It was disgusting to see him have one arm around Ari, and another around that sl*t. I walk straight up to James not waiting for him to look my way and I punch him right in his face. He falls straight to the ground. The girl who he was flirting with looked shocked but smirked at me giving me a wink. James, caught off guard gets up and steps forward but Arianna who was screaming at me to stop it gets in front of James coaxing him to stop.

"Come on James, your better than him." She tugs on his elbow, turning her back away though James continued to glare at me.

"He isn't better than me." I spat out at Ari. She turns around. She looked confused.

"Yeah that's right. Your amazing reliable boyfriend is cheating on you." 

"There's a point where things go too far and Jared you’re reaching that point." She says.

"He was just flirting with that chick! When you were reading your book." I yell at her, still looking at the dirt bag. Seriously how am I the bad guy in this situation?

"Jared please, just stop." she pleads, once again tugging at James’s elbow. He take steps away from me and walks with her. She puts his arm around her shoulders. He looks back at me with a smirk and winks. It took all of my effort not to go after him. Ricky who was yelling at the crowd that formed around us to go, came over to me when they dispersed. 

"Dude that seemed like a lot more than being pissed off with that guy. Do you like that chick he’s with?"

"Why would I like her? She's the opposite of my type." I say walking back towards my car deciding to skip school and come back for homecoming tonight.

"I don't know man, the way you acted..."

"Dude shut up! I told you no more questions." I sigh, and open the door to my car. 

"You coming tonight?" He asks. I glare at him and he adverts his gaze.

"Wouldn't miss it for the world." I peel out of the parking lot, windows down blasting my music. But all I could think about was Ari. She is dating someone who she believes is better than me and the fact is he is pretty much exactly like me and I didn't like it. And I needed to show Arianna his real deal. I don't know why I felt so protective over Ari but I knew I wouldn't let anyone hurt her. Especially not James.

When I get to my house I go into Ari’s room and open her journal again. I don’t know why her poems are so addicting to read but I know that this isn’t some fake poem. It is written with feelings. Feelings of a girl hurt, and angry more than fixable. I don’t understand how James has the balls to hurt her even more. I throw her book under the pillow and leave her room. I got to my room turning up my stereo. I look into my closet and find a tux and lay it out on my bed. Homecoming isn’t something I look forward to but knowing Ari will be there with James makes me sick.

Authors note: So how am I doing? Should I continue the story? Comment/vote/fan?  XD

And remember kids that Anatidaephobia is the fear that somewhere in the world there is a duck watching you.