Chapter 17

♤ Ayaan ♤

I felt like someone is piercing my heart with a needle. My mind was full of confusion and for the first time in my life I felt that everything is out of my control.

The disheveled form of Noor is clinging to me, her breathing heavy from crying so much. Her broken sobs extremely painful to my ears.

Everyone around me is asking her if everything is alright. Is she is fine or not but with no response. I drag her exhausted self to the couch and make her sit there still hugging me tightly.

"Aleema, please bring water and Abbas get the first aid kit." I instructed them and started rubbing Noor's back trying to sooth her.

Aleema was back with water and I made Noor drink it all sip by sip. When Abbas brought the first aid kit I dressed her wounds and after she was a little calm, I started to talk really softly.

"Noor, what happened? Who did this to you?" She looked at me deeply in my eyes and again with eyes filling with tears she croaked out "Hadi".

And here I could only see red. I was baffled that what could be the reason behind this monstrous behavior of Hadi but my baffled mind was not enough to subside my anger. Because no reason could be enough for explaining this act.

I was hearing Noor as she unveiled everything in front of us. How Hadi used to dominate her. How he wanted to cage her within his confines. How he disrespect, disregarded and discouraged her.

With each piece of information I felt tension fill my muscles. But then Noor disrobed the most painful of incidents.

"The day I came here, miraculously Hadi behaved kindly and affectionately towards me and I finally felt that I can build our relationship bits by bits. That day we had visited a gynecologist because Salima Phupho forced us to do so as I still hadn't conceived. I didn't wanted a child because I thought that mine and Hadi's strained relationship will destroy that innocents life. But when I reached home Hadi informed us that the reports say that I'm not capable of conceiving a child. Allah punished me for my wish. It left me in a shattered state but Hadi was their for me. He acted like the most supportive husband but then when I woke up, I heard him and Salima Phupho talking about his second marriage. Phupho said that he doesn't needs to leave me. He can just marry someone else who can conceive his child. And it was the last string that snapped for me."

By now everyone had tears in their eyes. We cannot believe that the Noor of this house, of our life was suffering so much right under our noses.

Chachi was sitting beside Noor, crying on her daughter's remorse. Noor looked at her and said " Iss liye humne unse Khul'a ki maang ki. Humne sab kuch saha Ammi, lekin apne shohar ki zindagi mein kisi aur ko nahi dekh sakte. Itni himmat nahi hai hum mein."

~ ~ • ~ ~

Kisko kahe ham apna logo ka wo khudara
Dusman se bad kar nikla jo yar tha hamara
Jo yar tha hamara

~ ~ • ~ ~