Chapter 21

♡ Noor ♡

After months, or even years I felt accomplished. Standing on this stage with this piece of paper which certifies that I've completed my diploma course in Graphic Designing I can feel ecstasy running through my veins.

I searched for my parents who had shine in their eyes and their smiles narrated a story of their own happiness.

Reaching home I was tackled by Aleema who congratulated me with her neck breaking hug.

Taya Abbu blessed me and Tayi Ammi showered me with lots of blessings and dua and her lovely kisses.

Ahmad Bhaijaan and Abbas Bhaijaan picked me up while singing horribly but heartily a congratulations song.

Meanwhile Ayaan Bhaijaan just kept watching all this and smiling softly, his look telling me about his proud and happy feeling.

And I was grateful for all this. It may be a small occurrence in someone's life but for me it is huge. From my point of view it is much more.

First, tackling the inner battles and that inferiority complex caused by my marriage was really tough.

Second, getting out of that toxic relationship. Though now my family supports my decision but this society questions a woman for every single decision of hers.

Third, going forward with my career. A lot of people questioned me and my family members that why do I suddenly need to study. Many gave my parents advice that they are doing a mistake by allowing me to study further.

I still remember that day when one of our relatives came home to give their unwanted advice.

Flashback...

I entered the living room with a tray of snacks trailing behind Ammi when I heard them say, " Bhaijaan it's not good for a young girl to sit home without being married. And then Noor is divorced also and the news of her infertility is everywhere in the family. I fear if anyone would like to marry her. Leave all these educational stuff and search for a good groom with whom she can settle down. This studying will only give her wings to fly."

I was standing there trembling inside from anger. Why can't people keep their nose out of others business. You got a life of your own so focus on that.

And then I heard Taya Abbu say "We don't mind our daughter sitting here in home. And it's her home where she can live as long as she desires."

And then Abbu opened his mouth to speak " And she isn't a burden we want to marry off. It's her life and she can choose what she wants."

I was already overwhelmed by all these when the voice of Ammi reached my ears. "And about her marriage, if a man can reject her just because of her infertility then it's better she lives unmarried because Noor deserves better."

It was for the first time that Ammi spoke up in front of someone else. She would usually just let the males of the house take over but this slight change is a sign that we are changing and that too for better.

In the end it was Ayaan Bhaijaan who said "And aunty education is meant to give you wings and we want Noor to fly high in sky. We want her marriage to be a nest in which she can fly along with her partner and come back to rest."

...Flashback Ends

All these things taught me one thing that if we want our family and others to support us and take a stand for us then firstly we need to take a stand for our own self. We can't expect others to give us strength when we can't even stand straight.

And it's time that I fly high in the sky.

~ ~ • ~ ~

Dhundhla jaayein jo manzilein
Ik pal ko tu nazar jhuka
Jhuk jaayein sar jahan wahin
Milta hai rab ka raasta

Teri qismat tu badal de
Rakh himmat bas chal de
Tere saathi, mere kadmon ke hain nishaan

Tu na jaane aas paas hai khuda

~ ~ • ~ ~