Rats on a Train

Adam, Bree, Chase, and I were standing in the lab as we begin the next phase of our training. Leo was also in the lab with us because he wanted to watch us train. "Okay, guys. The next phase of your training is handling extreme climates. So, we'll frost Chase, bake Bree, submerge Adam, and Cassie you will be in a tropical storm simulator." Mr. Davenport says. "That's not part of the training, I just got one of those carnival dunk tanks and I can't wait to try it out."

Chase gets into his capsule. "Okay, Chase, I'm setting your tube on antarctic. If it gets to be too much, just give me a sign." Mr. Davenport says.

"Bring it," Chase says as his tube powers up.

"Hey, that's not fair. I want to be abused by weather." Leo says.

"Leo, if you really want to be abused, try standing over here next to Adam's morning breath," Bree says.

"I don't have morning breath. It smells like that all day." Adam says.

"Leo, these guys are genetically engineered to handle these kind of climates. You're not." Mr. Davenport says.

"I can handle extreme cold," Leo says.

"Leo, you get brain freeze from chewing mint gum." Mr. Davenport says just as his phone rings. He pulls it out of his pocket and answers it. "Davenport. What?! Well, that's terrible! I mean, that's awesome, but that's terrible! I...I gotta do something."

"What's going on? What's so terrible?" I ask Mr. Davenport.

"I created the world's fastest train, but now it's speeding out of control full of highly explosive nuclonium towards downtown Welkerville!" Mr. Davenport says.

"Well, then what was awesome?" Bree asks.

"It's going like 400 miles an hour." Mr. Davenport says excitedly.

"Whoa!" We all said.

"My entire career is riding or perhaps crashing on this train! I don't understand it! My design was flawless!" Mr. Davenport says typing on his computer.

"So flawless you forgot to include an emergency brake?" Leo says.

"No. I never counted on the conductor dropping his papaya smoothie all over the controls and then jumping off the train." Mr. Davenport says.

"Well, if I were to build a high-speed train, the first thing I would have put in was a cup holder. Oh! And one of those bumper stickers on the back that says, I brake for cows." Adam says.

"When stuff like this happens, they always blame the scientist. This is human error. Scientists don't make mistakes." Mr. Davenport says. We heard knocking coming from Chase's capsule and turned around to see him completely frozen.

"Chase. Now I have to explain the whole train story again." Mr. Davenport groans.

~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~*~*~

Chase was out of his capsule with a blanket wrapped around him as Leo and I rubbed his arms to help warm him up. "The good news is, whenever I invent something, I always create a backup device to support it." Mr. Davenport says.

"As opposed to just building it right the first time," Chase says.

"Ya know, I think I liked you better frozen." Mr. Davenport says. He opens up a big black bag and takes out a device. "My auxiliary decelerator will stop anything...ocean liners, freight trains, tanks, eighteen-wheelers, twelve-wheelers..."

"Does it stop unnecessarily long explanations?" I say.

"Apparently so." Mr. Davenport says. "Only problem is, I can't figure out how to get it on the train."