Bionic Birthday Fail

"Guys, I have a bad feeling. Let's get out of here." Bree says as she, Adam, Chase, and I stand in a deserted parking lot. Suddenly, two masked men appear, and the four of us start fighting them. Bree uses her super speed to get away from them, and Chase and I use our martial arts skills to take one attacker down. Adam uses his super strength and sends the second guy flying through the air. We all gave each other high fives once the fight was over.

We hear an alarm ringing, and we are transported back to the lab. As part of our training, Mr. Davenport sends us inside one of his training simulators to help us strengthen our powers and fighting skills for when we do go on a real mission.

"Adam, that was the rebel leader. The whole purpose of today's mission simulation was to interrogate him." Mr. Davenport says as we take off our goggles.

"I did and his answer was, aaaaaah!" Adam says. We step off the simulation pad.

"Hey, next time could you maybe throw in a cute, blue-eyed rebel?" Bree asks. Mr. Davenport gives her a look. "What? I'm just sayin'. It's not gonna kill you to add a little something'-somethin' for the ladies."

"She's not wrong, Mr. Davenport," I say. Bree smiles, and we give each other high fives.

"Step aside, amateurs. Go ahead, Big D," Leo says, grabbing a pair of goggles and stepping on the simulation pad. "Set it to awesome."

"Leo, these goggles are not a toy." Mr. Davenport says taking the goggles off Leo.

"Come on! My birthday's coming up...globally known as Dia De Leo." Leo says.

"No. I designed the mission simulator to fine-tune their bionics, not to go on 3-D joyrides." Mr. Davenport says. "Besides, you're not trained for it."

"Well, how about as a birthday gift you give me a bionic ability?" Leo says.

"Or I could gift wrap reality and you could play with that for a while." Mr. Davenport says.

"So, Leo's having a birthday. What are you, like, nine?" Chase says.

"Thirteen," Leo says.

Chase laughs. "No, seriously?"

"So how are you going to celebrate?" I ask Leo.

"We're all going to celebrate. Every year my mom throws me a big surprise party." Leo says.

"Really?" Adam says.

"Last year she baked a cake the size of me," Leo says. "I'm not gonna brag, but I was delicious."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"Guess what? I just found out that I won an award for my undercover reporting on expired produce: something in the crisper can kill you." Tasha says as she walks into the lab.

"Congratulations! That's so great!" Mr. Davenport says, hugging Tasha.

"Oh, thank you. But the awards banquet is the same night as Leo's birthday." Tasha says. "I'm sorry, honey. I'm gonna miss it. If I don't show up, I'm afraid that they're gonna give my award to that overdramatic screen hog Linda Montieres."

"It's okay, mom. Go have fun. You deserve it." Leo says. Leo walks up to Adam, Bree, Chase, and me.

"I thought she was gonna throw you a party. I was promised a party!" Bree says.

"Every year she comes up with this lame excuse to make me think she's not throwing me a party. Award? Please. Have you seen her reporting?" Leo says.

"Leo, are you sure you're not mad?" Tasha asks. "We've never been apart on your birthday."