Back from the Future

"Okay, your mission supplies are packed, the schematics have been uploaded into Chase's chip, and your transport is on the way. Did I forget anything?" Mr. Davenport says as we stand in the lab.

"No. We'll just guess what the mission is and see how it all plays out." I say sarcastically.

"All right. A particle collider is a three-mile-long underground facility where scientists..."

"Race subatomic particles at each other at light speed for energy experiments," Chase says. He giggles. "So cool!"

"I know." Mr. Davenport says. They wiggled their fingers together and made a weird noise.

"Ugh! What a bunch of nerds." I say, giving Mr. Davenport and Chase weird looks.

"There is a particle collider in Berkeley that is accelerating out of control, and your mission is to shut it down." Mr. Davenport says.

"Oh, ho! Awesome! I hope one of us knows how to do that." Adam says.

"Okay. We have to act quickly. The scientists that operate the facility..." Mr. Davenport walks over to his computer and pushes Leo away from his desk as he sat in his chair. "'Scuuuuse me...have already evacuated the control center, and if we don't shut it down in time, it will create a massive black hole that will implode the entire planet."

"Today?! No, that's not gonna work. Today is Shelly Evans' birthday, and her mom makes the best cupcakes!" Leo says. We all give him a look. "I'm just sayin'. That woman doesn't skimp on the sprinkles."

"Don't worry, Leo, you will get your cupcakes. Adam, Bree, Chase, and Cassie have all the training they need to shut the collider down." Mr. Davenport says.

"I don't know, Big D. I think these guys are gonna need some... backup!" Leo sings the word backup while he does a superhero pose.

"Yeah, and that's why you're gonna be backup here in the lab with me." Mr. Davenport says.

"Oh, he said backup and you said backup." Adam laughs. "Saying things twice makes it funny! Oh! Saying things twice makes it fun..."

"Stop it!" Mr. Davenport shouts.

Suddenly, a sphere of light appears from the ceiling and lands on the ground. The light disappears and reveals a dark-skinned man sitting in a chair. He was screaming. The six of us scream when we see him. Adam jumps into Chase's arms while Bree and I duck behind the console, and Leo hides behind Mr. Davenport as they put their fists up.

"Nobody panic! Probably just the cable guy." Mr. Davenport says.

"Come on, Big D, I just came from seven years in the future. Your time machine actually worked." The man says, getting out of the chair. "It's me! Leo!" Mr. Davenport looks at Leo.

"Whoa! The cable guy's got the same name as you!" Adam says.

"Wait. If you're really me, then you'd know the handshake I came up with in case I ever became a spy." Leo says.

"Requesting authentication Double-0 Leo." The man says. The two boys do the handshake and start smiling.

"It really is me!" Leo says, jumping up and down.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"So you're...the future version of him. Do you know what this means? I cracked time travel! Ha, ha, ha!" Mr. Davenport laughs. He starts singing. "I cracked time travel, I cracked time...can you do me a favor? When I see you in seven years can you remind me to tell me how awesome I am? Lemme high-five." He gives himself a high-five. "Like that."

"Oh, I'm sure you won't forget." Future Leo and Leo say at the same time. "Hey, he just said what I said! Technically, I just said what I said. Okay, you're gonna have to stop doing that. Stop. Stop. Stop!" Future Leo puts his hand over Leo's mouth.