Mission: Space

"Oh, I love history class! Someone is always leaving me a little piece of gum stuck under my desk." Adam says as we walk down the steps of the school.

"Adam, please tell me you didn't," Chase says. Adam blows a bubble with his gum, and it pops.

"He did. He totally did." I say, feeling grossed out.

"Oh. Guys, don't look now, but here comes that guy none of us like. Marcus." Leo says.

"M-Dog!" Adam, Bree, and Chase say as they hug Marcus.

"Wait. Hold the phone. Hold the phone. Hold the freaky-deaky phone." Leo says as he and I get in between Adam, Bree, Chase, and Marcus. "M-Dog?"

"Yeah. Bro's call each other by nicknames." Chase says.

"Well, I'm your actual bro and you don't call me by a nickname," Leo says.

"Actually, we just choose not to do it in your presence," Adam says. "Mr. Tiny McLittlestein."

"I came up with the nickname," I say, giving Adam a high five.

"Hey, Marcus, what are you up to this weekend?" Chase asks.

"My dad's out of town so I'll be stuck home alone with my grandma," Marcus says.

"Aha! You said your grandma was dead." I say, pointing at Marcus.

"The other grandma," Marcus says, tearing up. "But thanks for reminding me." Bree hits me in the arm while Adam and Chase give me looks. "I wish I could stay with you guys for the weekend."

"And I wish you weren't a spastic sociopath with abandonment issues," I say, walking up to Marcus.

"Cassie, give it a rest," Chase says.

"Chase, none of us are safe until the FBI responds to my request for a background check on this M-Dog," Leo says.

"Look, Marcus, I'm sure you can stay with us. I'll just check with Mr. Davenport." Chase says.

"You call your dad Mr. Davenport?" Marcus asks.

"Uh, no. Pssh. No. But you do, and I wanted to make sure you knew who I was talking about." Chase says.

"Okay. Cool. Thanks, guys." Marcus says. He walks away from us as the school bell rings.

"Cass, watch out!" Chase shouted when a football was being thrown in my direction. Chase raises his hand, and the football flies in the other direction, avoiding me.

"What just happened?" I ask Chase.

"Did you just...?" Bree begins to say.

"I think I just moved that ball with my mind," Chase says.

"I didn't know you could do that," Leo says.

"Neither did I," Chase says.

"Man, if you can do that with your mind, I wonder what I could do with mine," Adam says.

"We've been wondering that for years," Bree says, putting her hand on Adam's shoulder.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"Chase, this is amazing. You can move things with your mind!" Leo says as we walk into the lab. "You're like a really cool magician. You know, if there was such a thing as a really cool magician."

"It doesn't make any sense. It was probably just a fluke." Chase says. "I mean, it's not like everything around me is gonna suddenly start flying through the air." Chase waves his hand, and random objects go flying across the room. "Uh-oh."