Dude, Where's my Lab?

In the lab, Adam, Bree, Chase, and I were wearing neck braces that control what we do. "Okay, now we'll check your bionic reflexes. First the left arm." Mr. Davenport says. He presses a button that causes us to raise our left arm and hit each other in the face. Since I was standing next to Chase, I didn't get hit and laughed. "Okay, now the right arm."

Mr. Davenport presses the button again, and we all raise our right arm and hit each other in the face again. Bree laughs since she didn't get hit and was standing next to Adam. "Oh, I hate this game!" Adam shouts since he got hit both times.

"Okay, Adam. Well, you can sit this one out." Mr. Davenport says. "I'll just do Bree and Chase." He presses the button, and Bree and Chase hit Adam. Bree, Chase, and I laugh.

"Come on, Big D, it's summer vacation! Let's hit the beach. Slap on some shorts and show everyone your pasty little walking sticks!" Leo says.

"Not now, Leo. We're doing some routine bionic chip maintenance." Mr. Davenport says. "Besides, this is fun. Right, guys?" Tasha walks in with a plate of snacks.

"Good times," Adam says.

"A blast," Chase says.

"Oh, it's great!" I say.

"Okay, are we done here? I wanna go be normal for a while!" Bree says, taking off her neck brace. She throws it at the console, making it spark, and Tasha drops her snack plate.

"Can't we go just five minutes without something sparking, exploding, or oozing around here?" Tasha says. "Ever since summer vacation started, it has been like one long science experiment."

"I'm sorry, honey. I...you know...maybe...maybe Leo's right. Maybe we need to take a break and go to the beach." Mr. Davenport says.

"Ahh!" Adam shouts.

"Yeah!" Bree says.

"We'll take a whole weekend, as a normal family, you know?" Mr. Davenport says. "No gadgets, no phones. We'll do it totally tech-free."

"That is exactly what I need. You would really do that for me?" Tasha says.

"Of course. You are way more important to me than the amazing innovations born of my genius." Mr. Davenport says. Tasha leaves the lab.

"Wow, Big D, it's really nice of you to blow off work for my mom," Leo says, picking up the snack tray from the floor and putting it on the console.

"Well, you know, Leo, now and then, everybody needs a little peace and..." Before Mr. Davenport could finish what he was saying, an alarm goes off. "Quiet!" Mr. Davenport shouts over the alarm.

"It's the early warning satellite system," Chase says.

"It's detecting a giant solar flare. When that thing hits the atmosphere, it'll cause massive power failures and a total blackout of satellite communications." Mr. Davenport says.

"Okay, I should tell my mom we're not going to the beach, then," Leo says.

"No, no, no, no. Don't tell your mom a thing about this." Mr. Davenport says.

"Oh, right. Let's just ignore the biggest solar flare in history to keep the little lady happy." Chase says.

"Don't worry about the solar flare. I'll handle it." Mr. Davenport says. "Just pack your stuff in the R.V. And get ready to get your beach on!" We all give Mr. Davenport a look.

"I know nobody says that. I know that." Mr. Davenport says. The five of us walk up to a basket full of goggles, and Adam hands us a pair.

"Adam, safety goggles aren't going to protect our eyes from the solar flare," I say.