Chip Switch

At school, Leo is in the elevator swaying to the music when Principal Perry walks by and sees him. "Dooley! What are you doing in my elevator?!"

"I'm enjoying the music. Today is love songs from the nineties," Leo says. "Wanna dance?"

"Use the stairs!" Principal Perry says. "This is exactly how healthy kids become unhealthy adults."

Leo walks out of the elevator and looks her up and down. "Really? Are we having this conversation?"

"For your information, I'm a speed walker." Principal Perry says. "Perhaps you've seen me at the Mission Creek Mall giving the shoppers a little eye candy?" Leo gags as Principal Perry walks away from him and addresses the students in the hallway. "Listen up, space-fillers! This is emergency preparedness week. An emergency drill can happen at any time. So when the alarm sounds, you must evacuate the building in an orderly fashion...like cattle, if cattle had acne...and braces...and a future filling up my gas tank."

Principal Perry laughs and walks away. "Oh, man! I wish I had Bree's super speed! Because you do not want to be stuck walking behind cows in an emergency, trust me on that." Adam says.

"You would trade your super strength for Bree's super speed? Man, if I had your strength, I'd just run out of the building juggling those cows. Plus, I would love to see people's reactions when they see a five-foot teenage girl with super strength. No one would ever expect that." I laugh.

"Cass. If I could have the ability to walk through walls, I wouldn't have to worry about opening doors or getting hit by something, especially if I'm trying to run away from bullies." Chase says.

"Yeah, and if I had your super intelligence, I'd have walked away from this conversation thirty seconds ago," Bree says.

"Hey, you know what would be awesome? If you guys took out your bionic chips and switched your abilities." Leo says.

"Why can't we?" Chase says.

"I call your super smarts!" Bree says, pointing at Chase.

"I call your super speed!" Adam says, pointing at Bree.

"I call your super strength!" I say, pointing at Adam.

"I call your intangibility!" Chase says, pointing at me.

"I call good looks and charisma. Oh, too late. Already got 'em." Leo says.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"If you guys are gonna switch your chips before school, don't you think you should run this by Davenport first?" Leo asks as we stand in the lab.

"They're our chips," Bree says.

"Well, yeah, but what if something glitches out and you end up with Adam's gigantic head on Cassie's tiny, doll-like body?" Leo asks. I look down at myself and glare at Leo for calling me short.

"We don't have to ask daddy for permission on every single thing we do," I say.

"Yeah. I mean, do you think I ask Davenport which shoe goes on which foot? No! I label them left and not left." Adam says, putting his feet on the counter and showing us the labels on his tennis shoes.

"Okay, Bree. Attach the chip extractors to the capsules. I'll program the computer for chip removal." Chase says. "And Adam and Cassie, you...jus...just get in your capsules."

"Whoo!" Adam says, getting into his capsule.

"Yeah!" I say as I get into my capsule.

"Now, Leo, I have the most important job of all for you. Now, once we get inside, I'm going to need you...to push this green button." Chase says.