Air Leo

At school, Leo walks up to Janelle in the hallway. She was sitting at a table trying to sign up students for the one-on-one basketball tournament. "Hey, Janelle, how about that lunch special today?" Leo asks her.

"Really? That's your opener?" Janelle says.

"Well, I was gonna go with "where have you been all my life?" but I'm only fourteen, so..." Leo says. "What are you up to?"

"I'm signing people up for the annual one-on-one basketball tourney," Janelle says.

"Ew. How'd you get stuck doing that?" Leo says.

"I love basketball," Janelle says.

"Me, too! I too love the basketball." Leo says. "In fact, they call me Hoop Master Leo."

"No, they don't," Janelle says bluntly.

"No, they don't," Leo says. "Hey, check this out." Leo picks up his water bottle and tries to make it into the trash can, but it accidentally hits Trent in the head. "Where'd that come from? Who threw that?"

As students pass by, Janelle tries to get them to sign up for the basketball tournament. "Oh, hey, do you wanna sign up for the one-on-one tourney? We need people badly."

"Oh. Sign me up." Leo says.

"Not that badly," Janelle says.

"One-on-one tourney? Don't you mean the Trent show?" Trent says, walking up to Leo and Janelle. "Starring Trent...with a special appearance by...Trent."

"Trent, you're the five-time champ. I already signed you up." Janelle says.

"You've been in high school for five years?" Leo says.

"No," Trent says. He turns around and counts how many years he's been in high school with his fingers. He turns back to Leo and Janelle. "Yeah. Hey, little guy...think fast!" Trent tries to make Leo flinch by pretending to throw the basketball at him.

"Okay, you got me," Leo says.

"Ah, that never gets old," Trent says, walking away.

"Yes. Yes, it does." Leo says.

"No one's signing up for the tournament because he wins every year," Janelle says.

"Hey, guys, what's happening?" I say as Kyle and I walk up to Janelle and Leo.

"Janelle is trying to get people to sign up for the basketball tourney," Leo says.

"Cool, sign me up!" I say.

"You play basketball?" Janelle asks, shocked.

"I love basketball! It's my second favorite sport." I say.

"What's your first?" Leo asks.

"Football," I say. "Not many people know this, but I can be very competitive."

"It's true. The other day we were playing a card game during study hall, and she practically flipped the table over after losing one game." Kyle says. "I had no idea there could be so much anger in one small person."

"What can I say? I don't like to lose," I say.

"Okay, Cassie. You're in." Janelle says, signing my name onto the clipboard.

"Yes!" I say.

"Oh, look how sweet. Trent is autographing that kid's cheek." Leo says as we look over at Trent, who was writing on some random kid's cheek.

"I am literally all up in your face," Trent says. "And I used his freckle to dot the I."

"If he just spelt Trent with an I, he's gonna be here a lot longer than five years," Leo says. We all nod our heads in agreement.