FIVE - Cold

Warnings: none
Word count: 730

You sat on your bed reading a book, to be more specific Matt's favorite book, It Ends With Us by Colleen Hover.

(Last year to ease Matt's nerves you would read the book aloud to him till he fell asleep, which was never long, he grew a liking to the book and so did you.)

It had been awhile since you read the book so you decided to read it again. As you sat on the couch reading the book you suddenly heard light taps and jiggles of the front door knob. You walked over to the door so you could hear what was going on better.

As you got closer you realized it was someone trying to open the door. You unlocked the door leaving the latch on so you could peek through and as you did you saw Matt struggling to get the key into the door.

Immediately you unlatched and swung the door open wondering why he was struggling to get inside.

"Matt, what are you doing?" You asked as he walked inside.

"I was having some tro-" he said before knocking into the corner of the entrance area hall, almost tripping before catching himself.

"Oh my god, Matt!" You said walking over to him helping him stand up straighter. "Are you okay, you look really pale." You asked.

"Thank you, and i'm fine." He replied taking his suit jacket off.

"Matt, be honest." You sighed leading him over to the couch.

"I'm fine, just feeling a little under the weather, that's all." He reassured sitting on the couch with you.

"Does your head hurt, stomach bug, anything significant." You continued.

"I think it might just be a cold, but I'm alright." He said sniffing through the sentence.

"Matty, your burning up!" You said feeling his forehead with the back of your hand. "Can I check your temperature?"

"Go for it." He coughed with a small sniffle.

"Okay, stay here." You got off the couch to go get the the thermometer from the bathroom shuffling through some of the cabinets.

"Do we have some aspirin?" He asked now standing behind you.

"God! Matt, you j-just scared me." You yelped only giggling after realizing it was him.

"Sorry. But do we?" He questioned once more.

"Have any aspirin..." you started looking in the cabinet for some. "Yeah, does your head hurt?" You quizzed getting the pills out.

"It's pounding, like someone took a hammer to my head, my ears are ringing too." He sighed as he pressed his temples.

"Let me take your temperature, then I'll give you the aspirin, okay." You insisted. "Open up." You requested as he opened his mouth and you put the thermometer in.

"102? No wonder." You mumbled taking the thermometer looking at it.

"Are you saying I'm hot?" Matt smirked with a sniffle.

"No, I'm saying your sick, and sick with a fever at that." You joked taking some aspirin and giving it to him, before walking into the kitchen to get him a glass of water.

You continued to the kitchen, filling up a small glass of water. You had almost made it back to the bathroom when Matt walked right into the door almost tripping again.

"Matthew!" You sighed helping him to the couch once again.

He sat down with you taking the pills after you gave him the water.

"What's really wrong, Matt?" You empathized.

"I'm fine my-my senses are just a little off, I think it's because of the cold, but you don't need to worry, okay." He pleaded.

There was a moment of silence where you contemplated your next move.

"I'll read to you so you can fall asleep. Just like old times." You stated with a smile.

"Y/n, it's okay I don't want to waste your time-" he started standing from the couch.

"Don't say that." You hummed standing up with him.

"You're not a waste of time and neither are your problems." You told him calmly.

**

Soon enough you both were in bed, Matt's head rested in your lap.

You positioned the book in your hands as you turned to the first page.

"Thank you, Sweetheart." He yawned.

"Your welcome." You giggled at his sleepy state.

You started reading the book and by the end of the second page Matt was asleep, lightly snoring on your nap.

-The End-