23. guess who's coming to dinner

4 months later....

Kataya & Saint

"Nervous?" Saint ask as he grips Kataya's hand. His eyes stay focused on the road in front of them, with them getting closer to his mothers home with every passing second.

"Kinda. I didn't really get a chance to talk or spend time with her last time I was here. It was a mess... Now I feel like things are a mess again."

"Things aren't a mess. They're just... in transition."

"When aren't things in transition for me?" Kataya mumbles before focusing back on the scenery outside of the car. It had been a few months since things ended with her and Psalm. Kataya was heart broken and overwhelmed in the beginning, not know what to do next or how to move forward since she was still actively in a relationship with Saint. She hadn't spoken to Psalm in person in three of the four months since things blew up, but he had made every effort to resume some sort of contact with her. Sending flowers and gifts, stalking the home they once shared even threatening Saint to help him get in touch with Kataya.

Of course Saint refused resulting in him not speaking to his brother for the time being as well. Kataya wasn't sure how she was going to be able to be with Saint and continue to avoid Psalm, because at the end of the day they were still brothers.

Things couldn't go on like this forever.

"Will he be here?"

"I don't know baby. He hasn't been speaking to me and to be real I haven't tried to get in touch with him."

Kataya nods and unbuckles her seatbelt as Saint puts the car in park. He looks over at her with knowing eyes. The breakup with Psalm had brought them closer, falling into an even deeper love than before as Saint soothed her through the transition from having two men to just one. Kataya was appreciative, but there was only so much he could do to heal a broken heart. Only time could do the work that needed to be done.

"If he is here, let's not cause a scene." Kataya says to Saint. "I don't want you two fighting. If things get too tense then we're leaving immediately. I don't care if we're in the middle of cutting a steak. Drop the knife and let's go."

"Aight boss lady." Saint chuckles. "We out whenever you say so, no problem."

"Good."

They make their way up the steps of the familiar home and are greeted, just like last time by India. With open arms she embraces both Saint and Kataya before moving to the side to allow them room to enter. Their coats are hung by the door and they're leas into the dining area where the twins step father was already seated.

"Good evening Saint... Kataya." Jeremiah smiles. "Glad y'all could make it, even if it is a few hours late."

"Sorry. Work ran over, you know how that goes." Saint replies sarcastically sicne Jeremiah hadn't had a job for years now. "Mama, what's on the menu?"

"It's a surprise! I couldn't pick so I had Penelope make us whatever she had on her heart to make us." India grins before taking a seat across from Saint and Kataya.

"Sounds great. Is your other son coming?"

"I'm not sure actually. Psalm has been hard to get in touch with recently, have you not spoken to him either?"

"Uh, not really." Saint shrugs.

"Not you either Kataya? Did something happen between you guys?"

Kataya looks over at India who had a smirk on her face dhat she wasn't too fond of. She looked as if she knew exactly what happened and just wanted Kataya or Saint to speak the words out loud for her amusement. Instead of being petty toward her future mother in law, Kataya takes the high road.