TWENTY

It was a dull grey Saturday morning with rain pouring down outside. Gemma hated British weather.

She sat with a bowlful of cereal that she doubted she was going to touch. Her kiss with Regulus had left her buzzing for the whole of yesterday evening, but that feeling subsided to gives way to the grief, and the grief brought back the horrible feeling in her chest.

She had managed to be relatively normal and almost forget about Dan during school, because she was so busy and generally didn't used to see him during school anyway. But somehow moving on so quickly made her feel guilty, like less than a month from his death and she was already happy and kissing boys. Who did that?

She didn't notice when Luke came and sat down next to her, or Ted and Isolde. She did notice when Regulus arrived.

'Hi,' he said, his ears going red again.

'Hey,' she replied, allowing a smile.

'And you say I'm whipped,' Ted said smugly, taking a sip of orange juice. Gemma reached over and raised the end of the goblet, so it went all over his face.

'Bathroom's that way,' she said, not looking at him, but still feeling his heat- seeking glare as he trudged out the hall. 

'Hey, Gryffindor approaching,' Iz hissed. Gemma looked up to see Dorcas. As she came to stand beside Regulus, he visibly scrunched his nose. Gemma had to bite back a laugh. 

'Hello Gemma,' she said in a friendly way. 'We have detention in Professor Dumbledore's office at seven today.'

'Detention?' Luke said suspiciously. 'What did you do?'

'I don't see how it's your business,' Dorcas said. 

'Bitch!' Iz said. 

'Hey, Gryffindor,' Barty Crouch Jr shouted from further down the table. 'Your not welcome here. Go back to the other table of blood traitors and mudbloods.' Avery, Mulciber and Snape snickered like he'd just made a really funny joke. Dorcas eyed him.

'I would be careful if I were you,' she said distastefully. 

'Is that a threat?' He hissed, standing up and knocking a goblet over with his hand. It fell to the floor with a loud clang. Dorcas didn't even flinch, but Gemma knew that Crouch was jacked up in the head, and tried to diffuse the situation. 

'Okay Dorcas, we'll meet, you should le-'

'Yes, it is. Would you like to act on it?' Dorcas goaded him further. Crouch whipped out his wand, but just as swiftly put it away. He barked a laugh.

'You're lucky the teachers are here to stop me from using magic right now,' he hissed. 'Just you wait.'

'Waiting,' Dorcas said. She turned and went back to her own table.

Gemma turned to see three pairs of eyes waiting for her to explain. She sighed, and started thinking of a fake story to tell them. 

.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.

'Ah, Miss Meadowes, come and join us,' Dumbledore said. Sturgis and Gemma sat in the seats at the desk- more like Gemma sat, Sturgis sort of reclined on it. 

'Ah, the golden girl is late,' Sturgis said, and Gemma snickered slightly.

'Sorry, Professor,' Dorcas said, and then to Sturgis, 'some of us actually study because we don't want to end up as losers with nothing to do.' Gemma looked at Sturgis and went ooohhh under her breath at the blow, and he responded by kicking her leg, to which she laughed.