FORTY ONE

For the first time in her life, Gemma was dreading a quidditch match. As she stood in her green uniform, her hair dyed a dull shade of purple, she had to practically drag herself out of the changing rooms. 

'This is gonna be rough,' Regulus murmured to her. 

'Yep,' she agreed. 

'We're going to get hammered.'

'Uh huh.'

The quaffle was tossed in the air, and the game began.

Gemma had completely forgotten how talented Potter was. He caught the quaffle with flourish, and weaved in and out of the opposing players with such ease it made Gemma annoyed. 

She attempted to bludgeon him, but he just ducked, and sent her an insufferable wink. Regulus flew perfect laps around the pitch, where the new Gryffindor seeker, Jamie Martin, just flew far above it all, scanning from one position with his eagle eyes. 

The match was going as badly as it could. With Jules as the only mildly capable chaser, they only got the quaffle a small number of times, and Sirius was not untalented as a keeper. 

'Aston!' Snyde barked. His forehead was coated with sweat from how much Potter was testing him; Gryffindor had 90 points despite Snyde's more than adequate skill. 'Take Potter out!

'I'm trying,' she snarled. 'You don't think- look out!' She rammed into him just in time, knocking him out of the way as a bludger hurled towards him. He gripped her arm to steady himself- he looked ready to pass out from exhaustion- and when the bludger came back, she hit it away as hard as she could with her free arm, and looked around for the culprit. 

'Tipstaff!' She roared, so loudly that he nearly dropped his bat. 

'Sorry!" He squeaked. Gemma slowly released Snyde and he nodded to show that he was okay.

'Looks like the Slytherin team are having some problems,' Lupin commented dryly from his spot in the commentator box. Up until now his bias hadn't bothered her, but she was riled up and ready to start a fight over just about anything. 

'Lupin!' She shouted. 'If you don't shut up, I swear that I will rearrange your internal organs!'

'Sorry, sorry,' He said, raising his hands in surrender. 'James, lucky number 7 passes to Dominic Rodriguez, number 4, who passes back to James who shoots... Yeah! James Potter scores, bringing the actual score to 100-20!' 

Gemma looked at Snyde, who was cursing loudly. 

'I'm not saying your a moron, Snyde...' She heard Pettigrew saying, 'but maybe you should pursue something more in your league, like maybe Frog Choir? You've already got the slimy skin.'

Now that was just mean. True, given Snyde's current condition. But still mean. 

'It's not true,' Gemma reassured Snyde and he rolled his eyes. 'Okay, maybe its a bit true.'

'Fucking Pettigrew.'

'He's pathetic,' she agreed. 'Craves reassurance.'

'Well he's getting it,' Snyde said bitterly, as the Gryffindor crowd roared with laughter.

The match went on, and they continued without scoring once, while Gryffindor got to 140 points. Gemma saw out of the corner of her eye, a bludger coming towards where Regulus was looping. She hit it away from him, and he smiled. 

'This is a lost match,' she sighed, and he nodded.

'True,' he shrugged. 'Its still pretty fun though.'

'What?'

'No? I think its fun. Flying is fun, so this is fun.'

'Winning is fun,' she disagreed. 'Losing sucks.'