TWENTY THREE

'Ow, I just got a papercut!' Ted said, sticking his finger in his mouth.

'From what?' Gemma whispered disinterestedly. 

'From the lexicon of pain and confusion.'

'Please stop calling the HoM textbook that,' Luke whispered. 

'It's so boring though!' Ted complained loudly, and Iz and Luke both shushed him. 

'Shut up,' Gemma whispered. 'Binns is a ghost, so don't piss him off. He might like, haunt us or something.'

'Quiet over there,' Binns said, before going back to sleep. Gemma hadn't even known ghosts could sleep.

'By the way, how is it going with Avery?' She asked Iz, who shrugged in response.

'Meh,' she said. 'The snogging is good, I guess, but he isn't really very interesting.'

'Exactly!' Ted said loudly. All three of his friends kicked him under the table, and he dropped his voice. 'I could totally do so much better than that loser.'

'Um, no you couldn't,' Iz said. 'I do have standards Teddy.'

'Clearly not if your with Blythe Avery,' Luke commented, but quickly went back to his worksheet when she gave him a deathly glare.

Gemma turned, feeling a heat seeking glare on the back if her head. She traced it to Regulus Black, who looked away quickly. She narrowed her eyes. 

'If you have you have something to say then say it,' she said loudly. This attracted a few stares, and Regulus narrowed his eyes.

'I have nothing to say to you,' he hissed. Luke glanced worriedly at Binns, but luckily he was still fast asleep, apparently finding his own lesson just as boring as his students did. 

'Leave off,' Ted muttered, glaring at Regulus. 'He really isn't worth it.'

'I'm not worth it? Says the boy that got twenty percent on his end-of-years Arithmancy last year,' Regulus announced to the class. 'Bottom of the class, weren't you? Lower than Crabbe.' This earned a few snickers among the Ravenclaws, and a particularly loud one from Luciana. Ted went bright red.

'You take that back!' Iz snapped, glaring at him fiercly.

'Er, it's a fact not an opinion Iz... I don't think he can take it back...'

'Shut up, Luke!' She snapped. Finally, Binns woke up. 

'Silence over there!' He droned, and Iz sat back down, a smirk of satisfaction spreading across Regulus' face. He raised an eyebrow maliciously at Gemma, and she made a face at him. 

The lesson finally ended, and the four left the classroom. 

'God, I told you that guy was a piece of shit,' Iz said as they walked. 'I never liked him.'

'I don't understand how he suddenly changed so much,' Luke argued. 'He wasn't like this before.'

'Hey, Greengrass!' Avery came up to them and put his arm around Iz, while Mulciber and Snape also joined them. 

'Regulus!' Mulciber beckoned him over, and he obliged, purposefully not looking in Gemma's direction. Suits me, she thought.

'How's it going?' Snape asked him, and Regulus shrugged.

'Hey!' he said suddenly, grabbing the hood of a random second- year Ravenclaw, who had accidentally knocked shoulders with him. 'Where you going kid?'

'Leave him alone,' Gemma hissed. This just egged him on further. He pushed the boy, who stumbled away, and grabbed his bag.