THIRTY SEVEN

TW; abuse

Gemma was brooding. It was Easter day, and there was much bustling around the household; even Mrs Greengrass appeared in good spirits. But despite her friends' attempts, Gemma could not bring herself to enjoy any festivities, as she thought of Sturgis, who was probably sitting in the Hargreaves' basement somewhere. Finally, around midday, her bedroom was invaded.

'If you don't come out right this second, we'll kidnap you,' Ted announced.

'No you won't,' she said wearily.

'Three,' Luke began counting.

'Stop it.'

'Two,' Iz chimed in.

'I swear to god-'

'Three!' Ted announced. He picked her up, threw her over his shoulder and ran out of the room. She hit her fists on his back and yelled at him, but he ignored her.

'Its not three two three!' Luke was complaining. 'We were counting backwards Ted.'

'When did you become strong?' Gemma said exasperatedly, giving in.

'Well, I'm not just good for my incredible bone structure,' he said, shrugging. She rolled her eyes as she surveyed the room they were in from her upside-down position. It was far more homely than the one downstairs, and there were stick figure drawings stuck all around, which she assumed had been done by Eva.

'Morning,' Snyde said from the sofa. She started, only just noticing him sitting there, drinking a cup of coffee.

'Strange way to enter a room,' Gage commented, while Snyde snickered.

'She was being a sour- puss,' Ted explained, grinning.

'Shut up,' she said, but she couldn't help but laugh as well.

'I'm bored,' Iz whined.

'That's because we aren't talking about you,' Gemma, Ted, Gage and Luke all said simultaneously. Iz pouted.

'That was scary,' she stated. She sighed and looked out the window. 'I miss Blythe.' Gemma wanted desperately to tell her all the disgusting things she'd heard last night, but she held her tongue.

'Only another week until you get to see him,' Luke reasoned. 'You could write him a letter-'

'I don't miss him for him,' Iz clarified. 'I miss snogging!'

'I'm free,' Ted said immediately, putting Gemma down so quickly that she stumbled slightly. Gage frowned at him, since it was his sister after all.

'That would be disloyal,' Iz sighed. 'And I don't want to be disloyal.'

'I wish the same could be said for him,' Gemma murmured.

Their conversation was interrupted when a large, scary black owl with bright amber eyes swooped in through the window. He had a letter tied to his claw, and Gemma recognised him as Dorcas' bird, Demon.

She untied the letter, and hurriedly began scanning it.

ᴅᴇᴀʀ ɢᴇᴍᴍᴀ,
ꜱᴛᴜʀɢɪꜱ ɪꜱ ꜱᴀꜰᴇ. ʜᴇ ᴡᴀꜱ ꜰʀᴇᴇᴅ ʙʏ ᴛʜᴇ ʜᴀʀɢʀᴇᴀᴠᴇꜱ ɢɪʀʟ ʟᴀꜱᴛ ɴɪɢʜᴛ. ʜᴀᴘᴘʏ ᴇᴀꜱᴛᴇʀ,
ᴅᴏʀᴄᴀꜱ

Gemma nearly cried aloud with relief, but controlled herself as she saw her friends' faces and Gage and Snyde looking at her expectantly.

'Letter from my mum,' she said. That sent those curious looks away. She petted Demon, and he took off again, out through the window.