Chapter 5| Living with Night Owl

Delirious' POV

"V-Vanoss..?" I said softly.

"Hey... What's wrong?" He asked. I was so close to bursting into tears again.

"My home got burn down almost half the family died. I'm tired, hot, burnt, and depressed. I saved some of the children there but lost my best friend. I found this little guy alone in a box." I said as I showed him the crying baby raccoon.

"Can I hold him?" He asked. I nodded and let him hold the raccoon. "Shush.." He said softly, rocking the raccoon. He started humming and kept rocking him slowly. The baby raccoon stopped crying and went to sleep. Vanoss laughed softly as he watched him fell asleep.

"H-How did you do that?" I asked. Vanoss shrugged.

"I guess I'm good at handling kids." He said. I yawned and started getting tired. I transformed and tried to get comfortable but couldn't.

I ended up crawling into his lap and curled myself up. He looked at me strangely and I slowly fell asleep.

Vanoss' POV

I pet his tiny head as he went to sleep. His fur was burnt and he looked terrible like the night before. I started feeling guilty for burning the raccoons' base.

It was late at night but I wasn't tired. I kept looking at the moon while holding the two raccoons really close to me. I would take them to the base but I can't carry two raccoons at once in owl form.

Beep beep.

"Hey, Evan!" I heard someone said behind me. I turned around and got blinded by the car's headlights. He turned them off and I noticed it was Mini.

"Oh.. Hey Mini.." I said.

"Why are you still out here?" He asked as he walk over to me. Mini frozen when he saw me holding two raccoons with a green blanket wrapped around them.

"I feel guilty now..." I told him.

"For setting the raccoons' homes on fire?" He asked. I nodded in response.

"This raccoon was the guy from the fire that we thought he set off. The other is a baby raccoon he found." I told him.

"Well, do you want to take them home? The older one looks really badly damaged and the baby needs a lot of caring." Mini said.

I nodded but then said, "What if the guys yelled at me for bring two raccoons to the base? Wildcat will be super pissed."

"Hey, I'll calm him down. Also, you're just doing your job." I smiled at him and thanked him.

Mini picked up the baby raccoon with both hands and stared at him. "He such a cutie!" He said. I laughed and got up, carrying the older raccoon. Mini and I started walking to the car.

"Tax Man and Night Owl saving two raccoons! Mission attack turned into mission saving!" Mini yelled as he got inside.

Once I got inside, Mini laid the baby raccoon on my lap, next to the older one. I felt him moving around a lot, looking for a comfortable spot, then stop once he did.

Mini started the car and turned on the radio. He put on a jazz music and turn it down. Now I was starting to get tired. I tried to keep my eyes open to stay awake.

"Sleep, Evan. You need it." Mini said as he patted my back a bit.

I did what he said and slowly fell asleep.

|Time Skip|

I felt the car stop moving and opened my eyes. I noticed that we were home. Mini took off his seatbelt and help get the raccoons off my lap. I slowly took off my seatbelt and got out of the car. I was still tired.