A New Moonpool

"Riri, what am I supposed to do? Rook promised to keep my secret, but I feel like he sees me as one of his trophy animals. Or a rare kind of animal in an exhibit," Yuu complains, sinking into the moonpool's water.

"One thing's for sure we can't be here anymore. Too many NRC students wander into the woods. We'll get caught," Riri says, looking at the hole at the top. "We'll use this one for emergencies."

"Where can we find another moonpool?" Cleora asks, moving a piece of hair out of her face. "This could be the only one for miles!"

"Maybe some of the islands near the Land of Dawning might work. They have a small island near the Isle of Sage rumored to have weird occurrences. Supposedly, a piece of moon rock crashed into the volcano," Emmeline suggests, remembering the tale she heard from her mother. "Let's check that one out first."

The mergirls nod their heads in agreement and speed swim to the small island about 100 miles away from Sage Island.

"It's like a tropical paradise! Look at all the lambert flowers!" Cleora points out, touching the illuminate flowers. "The flowers formed a trail."

The girls follow the flowers and come across an opening to the bottom of the volcano. They walk in and find more lambert flowers covering the walls, lost shooting stars from eons ago, and white, silver, and blue magestones.

"Should we use our powers or something?" Yuu asks, looking at the somewhat dull magestones.

"Can't see the harm in it," Riri answers, putting her hand out.

All four girls use their powers to create a giant ball of water in midair. The magestones light up, and a wavy glowing light comes out of them and goes into the ball. An image of a full moon appears in the water, and a blue light covers the cave. The girls stare at the full moon and become eerily calm as a strong gust of wind enters the cave.

"This is your first full moon, right, Yuu?" Riri asks, still using her powers.

"Yeah, is it supposed to feel this good?" Yuu responds, using both hands to control her powers.

"Yeah," Riri calmly answers, staring at the moon.

"I feel like I've been through thousands-no millions of full moons!" Cleora exclaims, her eyes changing from brown to light blue.

Slowly the rest of the girls begin to change color too. Riri's light blue eyes became navy, Emmeline's change into a frosty ice blue, and Yuu's change to silver with rings of different shades of blue around the iris. A marking of the moon begins to appear on the girl's heads. Light traces a triple moon on Yuu's head, while the rest of the girls get a single full moon on theirs. The full moon disappears from the ball of water, and the magestones return to being dull. The ground suddenly opens before the girls snap out of it, and they plummet into the volcano's moonpool.

"That was awesome!" Yuu exclaims, sitting up in the water.

"You're gonna like it a lot more as the months go by," Emmeline says, smiling at Yuu. "We should head back. Our folks are probably going to get worried. Plus, you have classes to attend."

~~~~~~

"Today, we'll be learning about the ancient techniques of charging. Specifically, we'll be talking about charged stones and gems with moonlight. In the old days, humans used to charge gems with moonlight to help set their goals, accomplish tasks, and bring overall joy into their lives. But the merfolk and wizards use the charged stones for a different reason. Sorcerers could use these stones as a backup source of magic. One wizard named Bluebeard used a moonlight-charged pearl to control the oceans he sailed. Merfolk, on the other hand, depending on the type, increase their powers over water and the seas. However, there have been cases of moonlight sickness, also known as the Full Moon effect, in some mermaid species where too much of the moon's energy will cause them to temporarily lose control of themselves," Crewel explains, pointing to a picture of glowing blue rock. "Luckily, there is a modern method of helping a mermaid with Full Moon sickness. But we will talk about that tomorrow in our discussion of reverse charging gems. Do whatever you want until class ends."