Sacrifice

"I'm going to go back and try to calm Malleus down," Yuu says, holding Grim in her arms.

"Not alone, you're not," Riri says, heating a piece of fish.

"I agree with Riri. We're better together," Cleora responds, moving a little on the rocks.

"Not this time. Promise me-promise that when I leave, none of you will follow me," Yuu cries, tears rolling down her cheeks.

"We can't promise that!" Emme yells, crying as well.

"You have to! Someone has to take care of this place while Grim and I are gone!" Yuu fires back. "Someone has to be able to tell everyone what happened to Sage Island if I never make it back."

"Yuu," Cleora weeps, her vision blurry with tears.

"Please, I have to," Yuu pleads, holding Cleora's hand.

"Fine. We'll let you leave. But you have to promise us in blood that you'll come back, and we'll explore the oceans together, and we'll be merfriends together forever," Riri rambles, bringing out a sharp, jagged rock.

"Ok," Yuu softly answers, sticking out both hands.

"I made us these bracelets a long time ago. But I think now is the best time to give it to all of you," Emmeline says, giving everyone a pearl necklace.

"Em, it's beautiful," Cleora weeps, putting on her blue pearl necklace.

Riri does the same with her pink pearl necklace, and Yuu with her multicolor one. Emmeline looks at her white pearl necklace, smiling softly. The girls slit the palms of both hands with the rock, making a promise that's as deep as the ocean.

"Hold hands and form a circle, everyone," Riri says, crossing her legs.

The girls hold each other's hands and form a circle. Grim even joins in with a drop of blood spilling from his paws.

"I promise that I will return from Sage Island, and I will explore the oceans with my merfriends, who I will be friends with forever," Yuu says, feeling her blood mix with the people next to her.

There was something else when Yuu said the promise. The water from the ocean begins to creep up to land. The sky starts to turn to night.

"We, Riri, Emmeline, Cleora, and Grim, promise to explore the oceans with Yuu and our merfriends, who we will be friends with forever," They repeat, not noticing the water starting to whirl around them.

"For blood is thicker than water. And the thickest blood in all of the universe's waters is mer blood. That's our promise," Everyone says, opening their eyes to see that the ocean has created a tornado around them with streaks of their blood.

The water closes in on them, forming a dome. It implodes, the mergirl's necklaces absorbing all of the water.