An old secret

A/N: Hi, I know I haven't updated in a while but I'm making this for a few reasons. I probably won't be able to update as frequently because I'm graduating in about 3 weeks, I'm doing college visits, and I'm also sick. So, this book is on hiatus until the next part of Chapter 7 comes out. That way I have more material to work with.

"Lilia, why are you hiding out here like some wimpy dog?" Yuu asks, sitting with Lilia in the spandrel.

"It's nothing. I'm just figuring out how to tell Malleus and the others that I'm leaving," Lilia says, looking at the dusty ceiling.

"You're leaving? But you're so young! Who cares if you're a father and probably in your late thirties! You can still get an education!" Yuu encourages, making Lilia smile a little.

"Oh, sweetie. I'm over 700 years old. But with age and getting old comes the inevitable process of death. I'm already losing my magic," Lilia laments, a bittersweet smile on his lips. "I'm planning to go somewhere nice in the east."

"Oh, Lilia, what about Silver?"

"He'll be ok. Silver'll probably find his parents, and then he'll have a new father, an actual mother, and maybe some siblings. Malleus and Sebek will look out for him."

"But why can't he see you in the east? You can't be that sick?"

"It's not that I'm sick, Yuu. I'm getting old! I'm dying!"

"So, people die all the time! That doesn't mean their relatives can't visit them before they go!"

"Don't you get it?! I don't want my son to see me withering away from this world like some miserable, wounded animal!"

Tears stream down Lilia's eyes, and he realizes that Silver is in front of him.

Silver looks at his father with sadness and disappointment. His eyes get watery as he tries to find the words to speak.

"Why-Why didn't you tell me?" Silver forces out, failing to hold back tears.

"I was going to. I wanted you to finish this year. Then I'd tell you," Lilia replies, standing up and walking to his son. "I wanted your last moments with me to be happy instead of constantly having the threat of my death hanging over your head."

"I'm your son! You've been with me all my fucking life, and I'm supposed to accept that you're suddenly leaving me and going to another country just to die!"

"I-Silver, I'm sorry-"

Silver storms out Ramshackle, and Malleus follows him. Lilia and Yuu are left alone.

"I think I should go back to the party," Yuu softly says, getting up and walking back to the kitchen.

There's a cake on the counter with four mermaids and a pod of dolphins on top of blue icing. The longer Yuu looks at the cake, the more she sees it comes to life.

"I'm going to miss them when I'm gone," Yuu says, imagining the dolphins and mermaids swimming together.

"What are you doing here, Yuu?" Cleora asks, coming into the kitchen. "Everyone's waiting for you outside."

"It's nothing. I'm just taking a break after what happened with Lilia and Silver," Yuu replies, trying not to look upset.

"Yeah, we sort of heard what happened. Look, Lilia isn't gone yet. Everyone has plenty of time with him. But, if you're still feeling blue, I say we should go swimming in the sea," Riri suggests, smiling at Yuu.

"You know what, a quick swim won't kill anybody," Yuu agrees, cheering up a little.

The girls run to the beach and jump into the water. As they swim into the sea, a group of dolphins appears beside them. The pod of dolphins begins to click rapidly, ushering the mermaids away from the Isle of Sages. Rumbles happen, and it sounds like the ground is splitting open.

"Oh my God, you've got to look at this!" Emmeline exclaims, seeing what's happening to the island.

The girls swim to the surface and see giant thorns covering the island. It begins to reach the harbor, and the girls decide to book it.

"I don't think those vines are going to stop!" Riri screams, preparing to torpedo swim away.

The mergirls waste no time using their mermaid speed to escape. By the time they stop swimming, they're in the Coral Sea.

"Well, now what?" Riri asks, feeling frustrated about what happened.

"I-I guess we should look for shelter first?" Emmeline stutters, trying to make the situation better.

"We can find a cave or something like that?" Cleora suggests, seeing the rocky structures nearby.

"I'll be with you guys. I need to let Grim up for air," Yuu says, swimming to the surface.

"Nyah, Yuu, can't you find a potion to turn me into a mercat?" Grim mewls, taking the chance to shake his fur a little.

"I'll try, Grim. Besides, I can't leave you alone on the surface while we're underwater," Yuu replies, holding Grim to her chest. "No more Ramshackle for us, I guess."

Meanwhile, in Night Raven College, an overblotted Malleus is beginning to become enraged.

"How did she escape?" Malleus growls, ink dripping onto the floor. "I had Yuu and her cat right where I wanted them, and somehow I lost in the end!"

The dragon-shaped overblot phantom behind him roars with fury.

"I don't care what it takes! I will find her! She won't slip into death later in life as everyone else will," Malleus rages, the vine cocoons hardening around the party attendants. "FIND HER!!!"

The overblot dragon flies away, roaring so loudly that even the deep sea creatures can hear it. Once the monster dives into the ocean, its ink spreads far and wide to find Yuu.
~~~~~~~~
"Good job finding some land for us to chill at, Riri," Yuu compliments, tearing up a cooked grouper.

"Thank you! I followed the dolphins to this place! But you have to thank Emme for finding that abandoned ship full of spices!" Riri replies, pointing out the medium-sized containers of spices on the beach.

The moon begins to arise, and suddenly the waves become malevolent. The waves grow taller, and the ocean becomes pitch black.

"Riri, what's happening?" Cleora whimpers, backing away from the water.

"Don't know, but try not to get wet, or else we're a goner!" Riri advises, beginning to run into the forest.

A menacing roar rings out, and the waves slam onto the shore. The small island shakes as the creature's footsteps get closer to the island. The girls run into the forest and eventually find a hiding place in an old volcano opening. They dive into it, hitting the ground, and stay silent. The island goes quiet then trees fall around them. The volcano opening is blocked, leaving the girls with no way out. Some moonlight breaks through, but the ink covers it.

"Emme, we've got to stop the ink from flowing in," Yuu whispers, seeing the ink drip down like slow-moving tar.

"Riri, Yuu, do you think you can freeze it?" Cleora asks, using her powers to keep the ink at bay.

"We can try!" Riri screams, putting her hand up.

Riri and Yuu put their hand up and freeze the ink.

"Ok, now what?" Emme asks, worrying about how to get out.