~ Chapter 10 ~

Robyn

Standing on the field, I take the chance to observe my team. I can see Ash over by the bleachers doing what he always does, flirting with a group of girls who always come watch us train, it's honestly a little weird. Across from him I watch as Dane and Fern talk casually and although I can't hear the conversation fully I have a small idea of what it could be about. Fern only ever trusts Dane's opinion on what shade of green she should dye her hair, and judging by the regrowth at her roots I'm assuming it's that time of the month.

Marcus is over by the gear and is trying to pump up the deflated soccor balls, but is clearly struggling because Jakob keeps throwing the inflated ones at his head. I honestly don't understand their relationship, are they like friends? Brothers? Most of the time I swear it's a father-son relationship.

I realise I have still yet to spot Eren - a forward - and Kai - a defender - and am now becoming a little anxious, it's never good when those two have dissapeared together. They may be in the grade below, but they're the Bonnie and Clyde of pranks. If Bonnie and Clyde were both men, who are just friends... and not lovers- ok maybe that wasn't the best analogy. Either way I just hope their wrath isn't targeted at me this time.

After looking around some more I spot Aaron and Cam quietly kicking the ball to eachother. They are both substitues for our team and are so versitile that they can slip into any role as necessary if a team member was to be injured. Although they rarely play, they never seem to mind since they know their time will come when we graduate. Because they're in year ten, they know they're lucky to have even been placed on the team in the first place because of their age.

Finally, my eyes settle on the one person they've been avoiding, Raven Sparks. I don't even know why I've been avoiding him, there's just this uncomfortable feeling I get in my stomach whenever our eyes meet. I watch as he ties up his cleets and his arms flex as he pulls on the laces, his hair hangs loose over his face as his eyebrows furrow in concentraction. I can't lie and say that he's unattractive, I couldn't even convince myself of that. But it's his personality that has always bugged me, his ego more prodominently.

I check the large digital clock that sits atop the scoring board on the field and realise it's time to begin warmups, I blow my whistle and call my team to the field.

It's been thirty minutes since I began to run through training with the Coach and we're in the middle of a circuit when I hear a loud yelp to my left and watch as Jakob tumbles to the ground, his ankle bending at an unnatural angle. I hear winces from fellow team members and a giggle from two devils behind me.

Before I can decide on a punishment for Tweedle-Dee and Tweedle-Dum, I walk over to figure out what they actually did. As Marcus is hauling up Jakob, he tells me he will take him to the first aid room and tape up his ankle. I agree adamently when I see Jakob's ankle begin to swell. Still curious as to how this even happened, I look around the grass and squint to see a soccor ball. However, this is not your average soccor ball, because Eren and Kai had painted it to look like grass. We all know Eren has a passion for art, especially painting when he's high, but for him to use the talent for this was- expected.

As I turn around to berate the two idiots Sparky butts in, "You know if I was captain this would have never happened to begin with." I feel a headache bubble up. "I would have kept Eren and Kai in line and ensured they were always in my sight." What is he, a babysitter?

"Thanks for the advice I never asked for, Snarky." I spit out the new nickname and he looks both angered and humoured.

"Have I ever told you how much I admire your creativity?" He grins at me and I'm momentarily bewitched by his smile, I don't think I've ever seen such an expression on him.