2.7

He gave me freedom and I took away his. Ironic... I forgot the happiness I still felt previously. It was a strange feeling; I was glad I met him – he probably wasn't – but at the same time, taking something so important from someone else, didn't feel quite good. Still, I didn't wish to forget him.

It was my time to apologize. I wasn't sure if I meant it, at the time, nevertheless I wanted to be good. He told me it was fine. I wanted to ask how I did what he accused me, but I was afraid he would avoid me again. What we had at that moment, was good... it was good enough.

I, instead, asked if he hated me. He giggled out a no and I let go of the breath I was holding. I don't particularly like you, but I don't hate you, no. Was his explanation.

Silence wasn't uncomfortable at that moment. The sun kept us company. Do you know why you came here? That was a difficult question to answer. It was my birthday present, but not really. If I was ordinary, I wouldn't have been given that gift. My obsession that kept me from talking, scared my parents. In a sense, it was... because of you. I told him.

He stood up, picked up his shirt, putting it back on. I found my damned jacket and held it to my body. My clothes were still damp, but my body was warm again. Sorry for being annoying... I'm just curious. I worried I made him mad again. I wanted him back to me. Curiosity killed the cat. He wasn't wrong. I was a kitty preying on a lion. I was out of my mind.

He helped me climb the rocks back up. I couldn't help but notice how easily he pulled my body. My jacket was tied at my waist again, but I knew, as we got closer, I had to put it back on.

We walked back though the skinny trees. I wasn't sure how he knew the path back since the forest looked the same. Maybe he spent his taken freedom here, maybe he knew all the singing leaves, all the colours of the soil, the shape of each tree... maybe he knew every secret of the forest.

His arm halted me. He motioned to my jacket with his head, keeping the peace of the forest. I put it on, trying to keep quiet too. He motioned to keep moving and we did. I wanted to ask but I was afraid someone would hear.

A few minutes after, the man appeared. He said he'd been looking for me, that I should've told my parents before leaving. He looked at Isaac as if he was to blame. I didn't want that, but I had nothing to say. I'll tell them next time, I promise. Was my way of trapping Isaac with me.

When I got home the old man was still there. He was aware of me before I even walked on the porch. He smiled as he saw me and smoothed my parents: See, I told you Isaac would keep her safe.

My parents then looked outside, and relief invaded their faces.

My mother extended her arm so I would meet her. She hugged me to her side, feeling my wet hair on her cheek. I told her there was a lake, she smiled approving. She thanked Isaac for keeping me company and he politely nodded. My father, on the other hand, wasn't too keen on me and Isaac spending time together. But he had to accept it, since there was no one else my age to spend time with.

The man asked if we were coming down again to eat. My mother graciously turned him down, saying my dad was dying to cook in the new kitchen.

Before they left, the man asked me if I wanted to join them for hunting again. I told them yes before my dad could refuse. I was anxious to meet Isaac again. I thought that maybe I could ask him then.

I turned back to my parents, smiling, which I hadn't done in a while. They smiled back. Perhaps being there was good for me.

That morning was especially cold. The fog was agitated and dense. I decided to wear longer sleeves, so I didn't have the jacket's curse again.

The night before, my father tried to talk me out of going with them, but that was impossible. My peculiar dream was right where I could touch it and I didn't want it to slip away.

I woke up earlier, so they didn't have to wait for me. Or so that I didn't have to wait to see him. My father was still sleeping, but my mother had already made breakfast. It was for the best; I didn't want him to try to stop me again.

My mother and I ate. She warned me how I was to be careful, that I should do as I was told. I agreed, of course, I would never say no to her.

The knock on the door interrupted our waiting. I zipped my jacket up and was ready to meet him.

The man was at the door and spoke to my mother, Isaac was again behind, off the porch, waiting. His face didn't frown as he saw me, instead, the corner of his lip turned up slightly. He was wearing the same jacket and hat, with the gun at his back. While my mum spoke with the man about her uncertainties, I slid through them to meet with Isaac. I probably had a stupid smile on my face that made him chuckle. He said good morning and I said it back. You seem excited. He suggested. I knew he meant the hunting. He didn't know I meant him. I nodded. It's very foggy today, so you stay close to me, alright? I nodded again. That was all I wanted, to stay close to him, so it wouldn't be hard.

My mother shouted for me to be careful, as we left through the trees. We walked farther into the dense mist. This new thick fog prevented our sight – it was hard to see even my feet – and attacked my skin with its sharp coldness, making my nose and cheeks flush. I put my hands in the pockets of my jacket as they started to hurt with iciness. It was hard to breathe and harder to see. We could hear the cracking of branches and the muffling of leaves around us, confirming the forest was awoken. I didn't comprehend if we were hunting or being hunted.

The man informed me that the fog would eventually go down. And so, we kept walking. Ultimately, the fog did start to faint. Thus, Isaac and his father decided to split up. I, evidently, went with Isaac and he repeated to stay close to him. After a long while I wondered if it was far enough. I considered getting closer so he could hear me, but then I remembered that he did. How far can you hear? I finally whispered. He instantly looked back at me, wide eyes. Stop asking dangerous questions. His voice, tinted with annoyance and anger, made me fear I had pushed him away.

Author's note: 

Where you eager to ask the same question too?? ^^

Vote please :)
As always, thank you for reading!! xx