winter in nyc

"emi it's snowing!" i hear being yelled and then a small body jumping on top of me, waking me up out of my sleep. i open my eyes seeing oscar looking at me with a excited face. "it's snowing!" cari says with her raspy morning voice, clearly just woke up like me. "let me see then" i say, getting out of the warm bed and meeting the cold air.

we both look out of the window and to my surprise it is actually snowing pretty heavy. a small inch of snow already on the floor. "cari come and see" he shouts happily as his little face lights up. she smiles at him and forces herself out of bed, standing beside me looking out. i don't actually think he has ever seen the snow properly. "wow it looks amazing" cari says to my brother, rubbing her hand in his hair. he jumps up and down in excitement, "i'm going to tell mom and dad!" he exclaims, running out of cari's bedroom and across the hallway.

i close the door and laugh. "i used to be like that when it snowed" cari tells me, still looking out of the window. i get back into her bed, pulling the sheets over me to warm myself back up. she climbs in next to me and almost immediately pulls me back into her. "it's cold" she says, hugging onto me.

alex enters the room with my brother beside her, he must have woken everyone up to tell them it's snowing. "we need to take this kid to central park later if the snow keeps getting thicker" she says to us, sitting on the edge of the bed, my brother straight back to the window.

cari hides her face in my neck, her warm breath hitting my skin. "emilia, please can we go, please please" he asks jumping up and down.

"yeah of course we can, in the afternoon" i tell him, seeing a big smile grow on his face. it's literally only 7 am right now, the sun isn't even fully up outside yet. "but for right now go and get back in bed and we will come and make breakfast soon" i say, he nods and skips away. alex also goes back to her room leaving me and cari.

"sorry he woke you up" i tell her. she pecks my neck gently and then lets out a small yawn. in no time we both fall asleep again.

/
around 11 everyone in the apartment is up and ready to go down to central park. there are quite a few of us so we pile into a couple of cars, alex, cari and reggie all driving to make sure we can fit.

i sit in the front passenger of cari's car, as she switches the engine on and pulls out of her parking space. meg and my mom in the back, as the boys both wanted to go with alex.

"did i tell you i'm going on tour?" cari asks and i instantly frown my eyebrows and shake my head. "no, when?" i ask. she rests one of her hands on the wheel and the other on her thigh.

"next week" she says, glancing over at me and then bringing her eyes back to the road as we follow alex's car. "oh. that sounds good" i say, furrowing my eyebrows a little.

"i won't see you for a while" she tells me, "new york's the last show of tour" she adds.

"will you be playing in florida?" i ask and she nods instantly. "i might see you there" i add. she smiles and plays with her hair with her spare
hand.

"it's the first show, come with me" she says. i meet her eyes as she looks at me with so much love, something i don't think i've ever seen.

alex was right, the snow has got much heavier and deeper and there's so much traffic. "so are you coming back to florida honey to help us get stuff sorted?" my mom asks, involving herself in the conversation.

"yeah i think so" i say and she nods.
"well, why don't i travel down to florida with you a couple days early before my show and then i can help out too" cari suggests, my mom smiling seeming to like the idea.

"that sounds like a great idea" mom says.
"em?" cari asks. i look at her and nod instantly.

we sit in traffic a bit, staring out of the windows. new york somehow looks prettier full of snow. i take my phone out of my pocket as it starts vibrating. incoming call from alex

"hey" i say, answering the call.
"we're here where are you guys" she asks, the loud noise of people in the background.
i put her on loud speaker so we can all hear.

"we got stuck in traffic" cari says, leaning over to me as we are stopped behind loads of cars.

"well, i've just got the kids a sledge and we will meet you by the lake thing" she tells us, as i hear the boys getting excited.

"ok cool, see you soon" i say, then the call ends.
the traffic starts moving again as we start to get past the thing that's holding us up. a car must of slid off the road or something.

luckily, as soon as we get there cari manages to find a parking space straight away even tho it's so busy. i get out the car and help my mom out who's trying not to slip everywhere. my stepdad appears out of nowhere and let's her hold onto his arm.