16 - Making New Memories

October 5th, 2022

On Wednesday afternoon Logan was at the sidelines of Em's soccer game once again, and he was beginning to sense what Rory had said when he'd asked about whether they kept the outside practice up also in October and had gotten an answer containing the phrase 'rain or shine'. It wasn't pouring or anything, but there was definitely a drizzle - which actually kind of reminded him of London.

The misty rain that covered his raincoat gave him glances into his past - not just Odette - there were plenty of London experiences that went beyond her. He'd moved to London on his own, twice, after all. There were memories of late night walks home after hitting the pub with the guys, a few early morning walk-of-shames for him too, barely recalling the names of the women. Not something he was proud of. Beyond the reckless - if it could be considered that - there were also a lot of memories of exploring London with more inncent type of youthful curiosity - each antique bookstore, old movie theater, theaters and cabarets, off-the-beaten-path restaurants - making him feel alive, even in the rain. That was what every time Rory had been to London to see him had been like, both back when she'd still been in college and later. Being together back then, regardless of the label they used - or didn't, had been like a time machine.

Em, who was running around, her head in the game, didn't seem too bothered by the rain though. And Logan really didn't know whom the girl had inherited that trait from, neither him or Rory had ever been particularly outdoorsy even if he had done a few more outdoorsy sports than Rory.

The whistle noted the end of the practice and the kids all made their way towards the bleachers. Em's nanny was there too, but today Logan hadn't talked much to her, being more in his own bubble.

"You looked good out there," Logan commented casually.

"Thank," Em replied.

"I was hoping to take you out for ice cream, or I don't know - hot chocolate or something... tonight but after weather like this... it doesn't quite seem like the best idea with your clothes being all wet," Logan said, feeling relieved he'd brought a decent rain jacket which had kept him dry.

"I'm going to change, silly," Em chortled.

"They have changing rooms back there and everything," Catalina, the nanny replied, who was in charge of picking Em up after school and taking her to soccer practice on most Wednesdays. Technically Logan figured he could've done it, but he got the gist - the nanny was also particular about not losing her work hours and he certainly didn't want to get on her bad side, realizing that he too might in the future be requiring her services.

"Oh, good. So maybe burgers? Hot chocolate?" Logan suggested hopefully, having already cleared things with Rory.

Cataline nodded, smilingly, at the girl, having been kept in the loop about the liberties Logan had with the girl.

"I'm starving," Em exclaimed and hopped over towards the changing rooms with the bag Catalina handed her.

Logan struggled to hide his smile, and that made Catalina smile at him in return. While the woman had never been let in on the whole background of what had happened and why he was there now and not before - the woman at the very least seemed to approve of the current developments.

Strangely enough the sky began to clear as Em finally made it out of the changing room, and Catalina made sure the girl was fine and then handed over her backpack and gym bag over to Logan. It was sort of symbolic even, handing the girl over to him. Just Logan and Em, alone, for the first time.

It almost seemed like child's play now - what could possibly go wrong?

Yet, five minutes later Logan found himself laughing at himself as he struggled adjusting Em's car seat to the right height, not wanting to take any chances.