25

a sweet surprise because today was one of the best days of my life. I wanted to share the happiness. ✨

-• the reward •-

Rohit takes me to the ground floor, introducing me to the people we come across, showing me around and making me familiar with the hospital. We are on our way to the Cafeteria when the emergency doors suddenly burst open and a group of paramedics rush in with a patient on the stretcher. Rohit places his arm around my front, stepping back to let the people pass freely. My eyes take in the unconscious man, soaking in his own pool of blood and a sense familiarity strikes from within.

I know him.

"Shourya," I whisper.

Rohit looks down at me, removing his arm from my body. "You know him?"

"Shourya Rajawat," I mumble hesitantly.

Rohit's eyes turn impossibly wide and his head whips in the direction Shourya was taken in. He rushes to the ER ward and I follow him. We stand back to watch as the doctors, interns and nurses rush about, screaming medical terms I'm not familiar with, doing the CPR on the patient when they notice his heart rate dropping. Suddenly another doctor comes through and the others make way from him. Considering his age and grey hair, he looks senior among everyone else.

In less than five minutes, Shourya is being shifted to the surgery room.

"Rich kids," I hear the nurse mutter under her breath as she turns to walk to her desk.

"What's wrong with him?" Rohit stops her abruptly.

She looks at him and sighs. "He was drunk driving and crashed into a tree. I'm guessing several fractures, internal bleeding and a damaged artery."

I gasp in horror.

"Will he be fine?" I ask worriedly.

She shrugs. "Prof. Chauhan is still in the surgery room for CABG. Let's just hope Prof. Patel takes care of this." With a shake of her head, she walks away.

"Was she talking about Dad?"

He hums in response. "Your father takes most of the emergency cases. The other professors in Cardiothoracic department prefers to work on a schedule. But Prof. Patel is a great surgeon too. I'm sure he'll do his best." He fishes out his phone and opens the message application. I look away to give him the privacy. "Alright, let's go," he stows away the phone in his pocket and leads me in the direction of cafeteria.

Soft music fills my ear when we step inside the bustling cafe. We walk up to the counter and a waitress smiles at us in welcome. "Good afternoon, what would you like to have?"

"Uhm," Rohit looks through the menu on the screen but before he can order, his phone rings. "I've to take this," he says staring at the phone screen. I watch him fish out his credit card from the wallet before he stashes it in my palm. "Get me an Americano and order something for yourself. I'll be back in five minutes." With that he walks away to find a corner to talk.

I look back at the waitress waiting for me to give my order and smile. She smiles back awkwardly.

I clear my throat. "An Americano, a latte and two of these," I point at the croissants.

She nods and types in my order. "That'll be 607 RS."

I give her the credit card.

Another waiter hands me the tray of our order. I take the bill from the waitress and thank her before finding a table against the wall. Rohit returns when I'm almost done with my croissant. He pulls a chair for himself and takes a sip of his Americano. "Sorry, we keep getting interrupted."