49

-• esther •-

Yuvraaj Singh Chauhan is only fooled when he underestimates someone, and in the past months, he had underestimated me greatly. Honestly, if I was in his place, I would have underestimated myself too. What else is a seventeen year old capable of if not lying about her test marks or materialistic needs? But after today, I don't think he'd rely on trusting my young age or innocent face, so when he summons me to his office at ten in the same evening, I knew I could expect the worse.

And he didn't disappoint me.

I fiddle with my fingers, my toes frozen cold, but nervousness makes my pores drip with sweat. He doesn't speak for a whole minute, or maybe two, but the silence makes its own conversation. As his lawyer it speaks for him, and implies who's the man in control.

I look everywhere but him. I can feel his eyes on me, dark and inky, like cold night, it forces you to freeze, both physically and mentally. He doesn't need magic or superpowers to make people bend according to his will, his existence does it for him. If he walks a meter, his name reaches a mile.

A sigh leaves his mouth and my back automatically straightens. Then he walks around the desk, the long, thick fingers toying with the paper weight before he comes to stand in front of me, his waist resting against the desk, and the free hand curls around the edge.

"You still have the chance to tell me the truth," he says, in a tone that convicts me as a liar.

"I've nothing more to share than what Yuvaan told you," I say honestly.

"Is it?" He cocks a brow, his larger than life presence suffocating my little one.

"What do you want to hear?" I question. I've no idea what he expects to hear from me. But if I really know the answers, I'm willing to share them. Not that I've anything to hide anymore. The only secret I was protecting is out in the open.

"Your birthday party," he mentions and my body goes still. "He came, why?"

Would he be angry at the mystery man if he knows the guy came to me instead of revealing the truth to him?

For some reason, the thought unsettles me. The one time ebony-eyed mystery did something for me, and I'll be returning the favour by exposing him. I really don't want to give him a reason to think of me as a bitter memory.

Damnit, my daddy issues.

But maybe he came knowing the risk he's taking? Maybe he came preparing to face the consequences he'd end up bearing if he gets caught?

"Before he came, I was already rethinking my decision of dating Atharva. With his arrival, and the words he told me, made me take the decision quickly."

"What did he say?"

"Exactly what you said at the dinner." I reply. "That Saxenas are not good people. And Atharva's father already knows about me dating his son."

Yuvraaj nods. "I thought you were scared of him?"

"Who?"

"Him,"

"Precisely," I respond. "The reason why he came to me, and not I went to him."

"Are you saying he took a risk of coming to that party, to give you a dating advice?" He tilts his head to the side, sarcasm in his tone.

"He owed it to me,"

"Owed you?" He enunciates each word, as if he fails to believe the sincerity of them.

"We can't deny I helped him back at the Rajawat Estate," more than Agastya, I think I'm fit for law.

Yuvraaj smirks, a mockery. "He never returns favours. He's selfish."