59

-• take me to him •-

My family is as dysfunctional as it is large. But the reason why it stands together in hard times is why it's called family. Because I know after a hard battle outside, I will be welcomed into the warmth of this disproportionate, slightly messy and thoroughly flawed family of mine. It is why each one of us is hanging on, clinging to this broken house, because each piece of it belongs to us.

We can't abandon it.

We've our reasons.

For someone, it's his responsibility.

For someone, it's his hope.

For some, it's where they belong.

And for some, it's where they lean on.

For me? It's a place that reminds me what being loved, taken care of, and prioritised feels like.

I've been alone all my life despite having a parent to take care of my necessities. Things would have been different if my mother had made amends with the fact that she can't provide me with everything rather than striving hard to provide me with everything, ultimately losing what we could have, time.

Time.

One that never stays, one that we regret spending the wrong way. Because the idealistic version we choose of our present, where we're constantly fighting to make our tomorrow better, is when we've already lost ourselves to that tomorrow, the tomorrow that apparently never really comes.

I think that's the downside of living, we rarely look for the upside of it.

The forever we chase, is all along in the moments that later become memories.

Because now as I sit among my brothers, while they fret over me, check up on me every five seconds, crack jokes to make me smile so I don't get the trauma of what I went through this evening, I realise I'm a part of the forever kind of memory.

"Maybe we should get her to start therapy soon?" Yuvaan suggests aloud, deriving attention from all of us. "We all want her to cope with this horrible incident the right way, don't we?"

Several heads nod.

"I concur," Agastya responds verbally.

"Oh, Agastya, using big words huh?" I tease him playfully.

He rolls his eyes while everyone else laughs. "At least I know my phrases right."

I stick my tongue out at him.

"I'm more surprised the two actually agree on something for the first time in their lives," Vivaan jabs, his tone light.

"I know right? Did the sun rise from east today?" Arush looks out of the window.

Ayush sighs. "Sun rises from east, Arush."

"Oh," the other twin mutters.

"Yes," we all echo, disappointment visible on our faces. He probably feels judged, but then, he is being judged. You can't be unintentionally this dumb.

"Not my fault he got all the smart genes while I got all the sexy ones!"

"We literally look the same." Ayush says through gritted teeth.

"And then you say you've never cheated. You copied my whole body, cheater."

"We're twins. Biologically -"

"Blah blah blah."

"That's what one says when they're losing an argument."

"Cry me a river."