50

-• fifty feet down •-

"The orphanage visit is pending," Yuvraaj says during the dinner that evening. Vivaan and Dad stiffens, and their response to the statement makes me alert about the incoming conversation.

"Is it necessary?" Vivaan questions.

Yuvraaj sighs, a curt nod brushing off any possible resistance from the latter.

"When?" Yuvaan leans in curiously.

"Now is not the right time," Yuvraaj replies. "Their exams are right around the corner. It's better if we put it off for some more time."

"What is this about?" I ask, clueless about what's going on. I tried to make sense, but without context it felt like pieces of different puzzles that don't fit together.

"There's an orphanage Rajawats have been sponsoring for the last fifty years." Agastya begins.

"Just not sponsor," Vivaan interrupts him. "They basically run it."

"Yeah," Yuvaan nods. "Every year, we take out a day from our schedule to spend it there with the kids. Media is invited to cover the event."

"So, a publicity stunt?" I surmise.

"More or less," Yuvaan shrugs.

"Rajawats will be there too," Arush chimes into the conversation.

"What?" My face scrunches in detest. Even the thought of Shourya puts me in a bad mood. I can't believe he's the same guy whose creepiness was the only weird thing about him. He's changed, and I'm still figuring out whether for better or worse.

"Don't worry, I'll make sure Shourya doesn't try to get closer to you." Agastya says in a tone of assurance.

Hearing that, the twins snicker. Now I really believe they are twins. I was starting to suspect it.

"What's wrong?" Vivaan question. "What's there to laugh?"

"Shourya would rather dunk his face in a boiling water than hit on her," Arush chuckles.

I glare at him.

"What do you mean? He's really not interested in her anymore?" Yuvaan frowns.

"Nah," Ayush shakes his head. "The two are nothing less that rivals in school. But to make it clear, he always wins."

"I let him," I defend pathetically.

"By acting dumb?" Arush asks innocently.

"No, because I don't care. He's infuriating." I turn to Vivaan. "Bhai, he always insults my intellect." I complain.

"Now c'mon, don't lie." Yuvaan mutters, feigning pity. "Everyone here knows you don't have any."

"Didn't you cry in a debate competition when you were in seventh grade because the other side was winning?" I snap back.

Yuvaan's face deteriorates of the smugness and he looks at Vivaan, who avoids the accusing eyes by looking around.

"Bhai!"

"I didn't tell her," Vivaan shrugs.

"I can't believe you! How could you, Bhai?" Yuvaan demands, unable to believe he was betrayed by his own brother.

"Oh, see an aeroplane," Vivaan points in the opposite direction. Yuvaan is dumb enough to look. When his muscle memory wears off, he whips his head back to his brother and opens his mouth, getting it stuffed by a spoonful of curd before he could get a word out.